Article concerning Salmonella from "pet chickens"

tjparker60

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
http://huff.to/2czpcva
Has anyone seen this article? Thoughts? Anyone contract salmonella? I do pick up my chicks, but I don't let them "roam" my bedroom or "cuddle them at night"! I wash my hands immediately after and I use hand sanitizer as well. Just getting thoughts on this.

Here's the thing about salmonella and chickens. The pathogen may be present in the gut of poultry just as the e-coli pathogen may be present in our gut. Healthy individuals are not going to pass either of these pathogens to others, either you or other chickens. Just as you aren't going to get sick from kissing people that carry e-coli in their gut, you aren't going to get sick from kissing a healthy chicken that may be harboring salmonella in their gut.

It's when the chicks become sick from the salmonella or a human who is immune compromised for some reason comes into contact with feces from a chicken carrying salmonella in their gut that you may see them getting sick. Look at the numbers. It happens so rarely as to be almost a non-issue.

Healthy people have no concerns. Just take proper steps such as hand washing after handling baby chicks and have any toddlers or older humans who may have health issues avoid intimate contact.

You have more to fear from contracting the rhino and flu viruses from touching surfaces in a public venue than you do from handling your baby chicks, and even kissing them from time to time.

.... Just as you aren't going to get sick from kissing people that carry e-coli in their gut,
you aren't going to get sick from kissing a healthy chicken that may be harboring salmonella in their gut.....
Maybe not quite an accurate analogy....
.....most people don't walk in, lay on, or get their poop on their lips the way chickens often get it on their beaks, feet, and bodies.

It's best to keep your mouth off of chickens,
and keep your hands that have handled chickens out of your mouth, away from food, and food prep surfaces,
until you've washed them thoroughly with soap and running water(hand sanitizer doesn't count IMO).

Back
Top Bottom