Roosterist
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 31, 2018
Bristol UK
My Coop
My Coop
The article filters seems to be broken.
I searched in the members section for most reviewed articles and the order seems to be totally random.
Also, the post notifications in the alert system aren't working properly.
The last post in a thread is shown incorrectly.
The points system isn't updating.

Last edited:
The article filters seems to be broken.
They are working fine for me.
I searched in the members section for most reviewed articles and the order seems to be totally random.
What do you mean by the "members section"?
Also, the post notifications in the alert system aren't working properly.
What do you mean it isn't working "properly"? What isn't working?
The last post in a thread is shown incorrectly.
Can you post a link or a screenshot?
The points system isn't updating.
It updates automatically about once an hour for members that have logged in recently.

We need to know the details of each individual problem you are noticing in order to be able to look into it. I suggest you review this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-troubleshoot-report-problems.1173246/

They are working fine for me.

What do you mean by the "members section"?

What do you mean it isn't working "properly"? What isn't working?

Can you post a link or a screenshot?

It updates automatically about once an hour for members that have logged in recently.

We need to know the details of each individual problem you are noticing in order to be able to look into it. I suggest you review this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-troubleshoot-report-problems.1173246/
Go to articles, members pages, sort by reviews and click on Reviews: most to least.
For me the first in the sequence is ‘Breeding For Sex-Linked Ducklings.
It has 4 reviews.
The sequence throughout doesn’t represent the number of reviews.

Yesterday 24/01 my alert drop down noted that centrachid had commented on the thread, ‘Cooperative Behavior?’ This was the last notification for that thread in my drop down alerts. When I looked at the thread, MROO had made the last post.
On the page ‘Chicken Behavior and Egg laying, the last message column showed that centrachid had made the last post. In the thread itself, it was MROO who had made the last post. It seems the last post column didn’t update with the most recent posts.

Go to articles, members pages, sort by reviews and click on Reviews: most to least.
It has 4 reviews.

Sorry but I’m still not sure what you are meaning on this?
I’m possibly thinking but maybe totally wrong that it has something to do with the article having more ratings but without the written review? Not sure on that though.

Yesterday 24/01 my alert drop down noted that centrachid had commented on the thread, ‘Cooperative Behavior?’ This was the last notification for that thread in my drop down alerts. When I looked at the thread, MROO had made the last post.
On the page ‘Chicken Behavior and Egg laying, the last message column showed that centrachid had made the last post. In the thread itself, it was MROO who had made the last post. It seems the last post column didn’t update with the most recent posts.

You only get a notification for the first post after you have read the last post in the thread in alerts as below. There maybe more posted after the alert.
27F155BC-6913-4B2A-AEB7-2259064B6846.jpeg

The last post column, do you mean in your watched threads?
70E0D324-F75F-4DBD-B99D-A34F919AF7AC.jpeg

I use the black dot to go to my first unread post in any of my watched threads. When I check alerts I don’t always have time to read & respond to each thread but I know they will be in my watched list and I can go straight to them when I have time. Whilst they are sitting in my list I don’t get alerts to say another post has been made.
889DABB1-7483-407E-84A0-CA3988EB5648.jpeg

It has 4 reviews.
Sorry, maybe i've misunderstood but...
In the sequence above, if I select 'Reviews, most to least' from the 'sort by' filter I would expect the article with most reviews to appear first in the list. The number of reviews is shown in the information box on the right of the article.
If I choose 'sort by', 'views, most to least' then the sequence is correct and the article with most 'views' is the first in the list.
If I choose in articles- members pages, sort by-rating, high to low, the sequence shows
Making the Tough Calls-Difficult But Essential as No 1. However, this article has a rating of 4.5 stars while other articles have a rating of 5 stars. I would expect the articles rated with 5 stars to be higher in the list than the articles with 4.5 stars.

It doesn't really matter but if I choose a filter that says it will show articles based on rating, then I would expect to see those with the highest rating shown first.

I was inspired to reach out to the developer and I was very pleased to hear that he was going to re-code the articles system to accommodate "weighted ratings"!!!

So, starting today, all coop-page indexes are sorted by "weighted ratings"! :woot

Ok, so non-weighted: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/?order=rated
compared to weighted: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/?order=rating_weighted

Check out the results on that 2nd link... those are definitely the "best" coop articles, right!?!?

If anybody wants to get their geek-on, here's how the calculation is done. It's based on this : Bayesian average - Wikipedia

PHP:
     // same as the xf resource manager to maintain a standard.
    public static $voteThreshold = 10;
    public static $averageVote = 3;

public function getWeightedRating($count, $sum)
    {
        return (self::$voteThreshold * self::$averageVote + $sum) / (self::$voteThreshold + $count);
    }
More info here: https://fulmicoton.com/posts/bayesian_rating/
@Nifty-Chicken or @CarpCharacin, are all articles sorted like this now (weighted)?

I think it was related to the article counts needing to be rebuilt, which is why the reviews tab wasn't showing up earlier, sort by reviews works fine now, the article with the most reviews has 45 reviews. If you choose a filter, it will filter them based on whatever filter you choose, but it will still display them in the order that is selected to sort them by.

@Nifty-Chicken or @CarpCharacin, are all articles sorted like this now (weighted)?
We have different default sort orders set for various sections of our articles section (example: coops are all by rating, but LC is still by views), but all the sort types should be available for every article section.

Back
Top Bottom