Article in Scientific American -"Brainy Bird" A must read!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPresence, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ChickenPresence

ChickenPresence Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    Hello!

There is a terrific article in this month's Scientific American magazine titled "Brainy Bird",
    which details studies that show chickens are significantly smarter than the general population thinks! Of course WE know how smart our birds are but it is wonderful that the rest of the world is beginning to see this!

Below is a link to the Scientific American website:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/magazine/sa/2014/02-01/

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Fantastic! I often tell my co-workers that the smartest conversations of the day are with my girls - now I can prove it! [​IMG]

3. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Tell that to Rambo my silkie bantam who thinks she can beat up a buff orpington!!!!!!!!!!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Too bad you have to pay to read the whole thing.

5. ChickenPresence

Apr 27, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    Oh I know, sorry that this is the only way but it is worth it. Perhaps you could google the authors to find their results elsewhere on the web for free :)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good idea...but didn't work, tho I didn't look far. All results pointed to SA links.
    Checking with library to see if they carry it.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I sure would like to read the rest of the article. But I don't want to pay for it.

8. ChickenPresence

Apr 27, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    So glad to hear you are able to prove what we already know! I had a great moment when at lunch with several friends, one actually rolled her eyes at my mention of just how smart chickens are. With that, everyone else at the table supported my statements with comments such as "of course they are smart!" and offered up "brainy bird" stories :)

9. ChickenPresence

Apr 27, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    I just purchased this month's issue on line and have the ability to share the article via a PDF by way of e-mail. I will be happy to share if anyone would like to PM me with their e-mail address. I also just saw that the article was shared with BYC via "Reddit"

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by