Article in Today's Paper on Backyard Chicks - Mentions this Website

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wolfpacker, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
  2. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, I wish it would have focused more on the positives of raising chickens vs. neighbors complaining and zoning violations. It doesn't say what the complaints were about - real problems or just people tattling on their neighbors for having chickens where they aren't supposed to. I suspect the latter.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hey Wolfpacker, thanks so much for posting that!

I think most newspapers would love to print stories about the joy of raising BackYardChickens. Boy, if every member contacted their local paper to see if they wantd to do a story on chickens in their town that would be SO COOL <hint hint>! [​IMG]

4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    You're welcome, but I was a bit disappointed in the story. When he posted on here earlier, I had imagined some kind of feature story in the Sunday paper all about the joys of having chickens.

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I emailed him and told him it would have been nice if he had told of the joy people get from owning & raising backyard chickens. An that chickens can be as much fun as owning a dog or cat. Maybe he will get enough emails to do a follow up story.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:i just got a chance to read this. i emailed him to. why so many negatives in the news?!

7. yonder

yonder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the mention of this site in the article is what brought me here. I found that article trying to google around and figure out the legality of keeping chickens in Raleigh city limits. I live on a 1/3 acre lot in north Raleigh. We moved in a year ago, already have one of three planned raised beds put in, one of three planned rain barrels. The wife & I have been kicking around adding a chicken coop to give us fresh eggs. I'm comfortable with butchering for meat, too, but unless there's such a thing as a quiet rooster to give me a steady supply of chicks to grow out for meat, I think we're going to just want a harem of girls for the eggs.

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Glad you resurrected this old thread. I never saw it but it is interesting. I have never met a quiet roo good luck on that one. I think my neighbors dogs are much louder than my roos though.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  9. mergmet

mergmet Chillin' With My Peeps

yonder, you could purchase broiler or heavy chicks to grow out for meat, or hatch them from bought eggs locally

you can find a way!

m

10. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    Strange this thread popped up...

We had an article in TODAY'S paper about rising egg prices....they mentioned Cackle Hatchery, and the spokesperson from there said that business is booming with the chicks.

Can't post the article because when I go to the local paper's webpage, IE keeps showing me an error and the need to close. It wasn't a local reporter, think it originally appeared in USA TODAY. Anyway, that was interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by