Article on Chickens as Backyard Pets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Honky Dory, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Honky Dory

Honky Dory New Egg

Feb 7, 2008
    TX
    OK! For those that don't know, my husband and I are publishers who are putting out a brand new "pet directory" for the metro Houston area. As we all know here, no pet magazine is complete without a few pages dedicated to why chickens are awesome!
    I would love to hear what you guys would have to say about your chickens as pets.
    Why Chickens? (The Pros).
    What to Consider?
    Are chickens right for everyone? (The Cons).
    Where to start?

If you would like to be quoted, personally interviewed, or are in the area and would like to be a resource, please PM me for contact info.
    Thanks guys, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Krystal

2. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I live in the burbs and would be happy to answer any questions. I am in Arizona but the concept is the same. I started with 5 birds but 1 ended up with a roo. He had to go because they are not allowed. Before anyone does anything they should check their city codes. I started with chicks because they are cheaper and being hand raised by us they are more likely to have a better temperament. They also know their environment and want to stay in it. They are allowed to free range in the backyard and they go to the coop at night. I love having them. They bring life to the yard. I also never have to mow or weed. They don't destroy the yard but they do dig a few holes. The kids are learning about where food comes from, although we wont eat our girls. They like collecting eggs. They have their own personalities and are just as much a pet as the cat or dog. The only downside is that they poop on the porch.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Krystal, I think you would get the answers you need if you went to the Learning Center section of this website (see blue headings at the very top of your screen). Also, if you read some of the Member Pages, most people tell why they have chickens and what they like about them.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I have suburban hens in Texas. My four hens are less work than a dog. They never bark all night, bite the neighbors kids, tear open trash bags, spay pee on my front door or anyone elses or poop in the neighbors yard. All the other pets in my neighbor do at least some of these things. I get fresh eggs everyday, in the summer enough for me and some friends. My hens sit on my lap, come when they are called and know where thier house is. Chickens are amusing to watch, are good company in the yard and come in every color imaginable. The down sides are they poop on the porch, every critter in the world thinks they are good eats, they dig up flower beds and scatter mulch, and people think you are strange for keeping them. Pet sitting is also a little more complicated for those who have chickens.

5. Honky Dory

Honky Dory New Egg

Feb 7, 2008
    TX
    Thanks guys, I had totally overlooked the learning center as well - thanks Buff. The poop on the porch drives me crazy!

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I don't have a short attention span, I just...Oh, look a chicken!

I love that, Honky Dory! [​IMG] That's me when I drive... [​IMG]

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Why Chickens? (The Pros).

Why the heck not? [​IMG]
    I have chickens because I'm allergic to animals with fur. DH never had "real" pets. I had cats and dogs and fish growing up. Now I don't but I have the chickens and fish. And you can't really cuddle up to a fish...

What to Consider?

What will the neighbours/family/my mother say?
    "Who cares?" I have yet to have someone call the dog officer saying that they were bitten by a cantakerous bag of feathers.
    Chickens don't chase cars.
    They don't bark, well some do crow, but us lucky ones have crowing hens too. LOL
    They don't lick their butts. [​IMG]
    Well cared for chickens DO NOT attract mice or rats.

Are chickens right for everyone? (The Cons).

Probably not...but not everyone likes cats or dogs either.
    They can be messy.
    They can be loud.
    They can fly out of your yard if there's nice tasty new grass coming up in the neighbour's yard.

Where to start

?

BYC is a good place.
    Research what your local Health Dept, Animal Control and Zoning laws have to say BEFORE you even get the birds. It stops some of the heartache before you get attached to them.

Then go to here and see what type of birds would be good for your climate, whether they go broody at the drop of a hat, whether they don't mind being inside a lot...
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Then go HERE and look at all the beautiful pictures...
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Also you'd have to do research on the types of predators you might encounter in your neighbourhood.

I have raccoons, skunks, foxes, possums, snakes, hawks, eagles, owls, coyotes, cats and dogs.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by