Article on government crackdown on raw milk

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Jun 10, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I see both sides, but I have to wonder, how far is too far when denying people the right to sell raw products? Soon will they demand we sell cooked meat instead of raw meat?

Perhaps they should just make it so small farmers put a warning of the dangers of drinking raw milk? That covers the farmer and gives them the right to sell raw milk since it is believed to be healthier by many people.

what do you think, since most of us on here raise our own animals and either buy or sale products such as eggs, milk, and produce

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/10/berezow.e.coli.raw.food/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

2. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Its to far when the government tells us what we can eat or what we cannot eat, for it is controlling our freedom, and independence! People should make their own choice WHERE they can buy raw foods from. If they do not like farm #1 produce, and its practice unhealthy farm lifestyle, they have a choice to buy from farm #2, which raises their livestock healthier then farm #1. I love my neighbor's raw goats milk, and trade raw eggs for it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    We need to grow up and stop blaming someone for our actions if doesn't turn out well. I would like to see the farm and see the sanitation. If its not clean you don't get the milk. Kind of like a resturant, the first thing I do is go to the ladys, if its not clean I'm out of there. I don't care what the sanitation grade is. We had a milk cow while growing up and it is NOT a dirty prosses to milk a cow! My dad would get a bucket of hot soapy water and some nice warm rinse water. He would wash and rinse the cows utter and rinse it then milk the cow. Most times I had my tin cup and get myself a nice warm cup of milk. I can remember one time my brother fed the cow onions. I cried untill the milk cleared up in taste.

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I find stuff like this annoying. This country will gladly sell us alcohol, cigarettes, junk food, fast food... there's candy at every checkout, donut shops on every corner, the obesity epidemic is at an all time high, diabetes is at an all time high, but raw milk.... ooh, scary. Give me a break. Obviously an attempt by the dairy industry to not let us have alternatives. I personally don't drink milk of any kind, other than soy, rice or almond milk, but I believe everyone should have the option to sell or buy raw milk. I suppose we'll have to start hard boiling our eggs before we can sell them too, right?

5. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I agree with this:

The FDA is in an unenviable position. Enforcing its own regulations results in complaints of government overreach, while disease outbreaks would surely result in complaints of government negligence. As is often the case, the FDA finds itself in an impossible no-win situation. It does what it has to do.

When the big salmonella tainted egg scare happened last year everybody was demanding that the government step up regulation. You can't have it both ways.

I would prefer raw milk sales be treated like egg sales in our state; if you purchase it directly from the farm, on the farm premises, there are no permits or other requirements necessary. The problems come with mass marketing and distribution networks.

7. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    All that garbage wouldn't be spreading like wildfire through the country if small people like us supplied most of the food in America. We would have small, local outbreaks and the offenders could be dealt with. [​IMG]

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:There's a big difference between raw meat and eggs versus raw milk. Food safety practices for cooking meat and eggs are generally well known and can be found on every retail package. Most people know better than to eat undercooked pork, chicken, etc.

Raw milk, on the other hand, is sold to be consumed that way and people seem to lose all common sense. There is also a big difference between a farmer dipping a pitcher of milk out of the bulk tank to be consumed at dinner and breakfast the next morning versus the consumer who drives a distance to get some "wholesome" milk, puts it in questionable containers, hauls it home in a ice chest that has probably been in the garage since the last fishing trip, and buys quantities to last the family a week or two.

9. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:There's a big difference between raw meat and eggs versus raw milk. Food safety practices for cooking meat and eggs are generally well known and can be found on every retail package. Most people know better than to eat undercooked pork, chicken, etc.

Raw milk, on the other hand, is sold to be consumed that way and people seem to lose all common sense. There is also a big difference between a farmer dipping a pitcher of milk out of the bulk tank to be consumed at dinner and breakfast the next morning versus the consumer who drives a distance to get some "wholesome" milk, puts it in questionable containers, hauls it home in a ice chest that has probably been in the garage since the last fishing trip, and buys quantities to last the family a week or two.

Quite a difference, but I can read a milk label as easily as an egg or meat label and I would like to think I am not such an old dog that I couldn't learn some new tricks.,

I would not drink the milk out of that bulk tank. (did the farmer sterilize his pitcher first or can we trust him to do the wrong thing the wrong way, the way the gov. trusts us all to do?)

There is reason that stuff is pasteurized; bulk being the operative word here. Milk that is pasteurized can be just as prone to contamination after the fact, as the raw milk mentioned above. It is not wise to think that pasteurized milk gives one a free pass and yes, there are plenty of people getting sick from pasteurized milk as well; its just not politically incorrect.

Stocking up on raw milk to last a week or two is also much more desirable then stocking up on pasteurized milk as it will not spoil and rot like the pasteurized milk will. As with raw chicken and meat, it is not unreasonable to expect people to understand "safe milk handling practises". Those who don't, are going to get sick from more then just raw milk and should be banned from eating entirely, and that includes government inspected food.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Once again the govt. feels the need to save "the people" from themselves. [​IMG]

I find stuff like this annoying. This country will gladly sell us alcohol, cigarettes, junk food, fast food... there's candy at every checkout, donut shops on every corner, the obesity epidemic is at an all time high, diabetes is at an all time high, but raw milk.... ooh, scary. Give me a break. Obviously an attempt by the dairy industry to not let us have alternatives. I personally don't drink milk of any kind, other than soy, rice or almond milk, but I believe everyone should have the option to sell or buy raw milk. I suppose we'll have to start hard boiling our eggs before we can sell them too, right?

So True Laurajean!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by