Articular Gout

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ameraucanas, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Hello! I am studying to be a vet, and I want to know anything and everything about articular gout. Warning signs, treatment, postmortems, causes, etc. Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I know more about visceral gout but what I know, the symptoms are enlarged foot joints resulting from kidney damage. Most likely from excessive dietary protein.

What I don't know and perhaps you can shed some light. Dietary protein is usually expressed as a % of crude protein.
    However, protein can be high yet be deficient in some essential amino acids. If people raise the crude protein % in order to achieve sufficient levels of some of the essential amino acids, do they then cause the kidney damage because the excessive levels of other amino acids need to be discarded? That is what I suspect.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Wow! Thanks so much! Are you a vet? You sure know your stuff about chickens! I'm still studying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by