Artifical light & moving a broody out of the coop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarahal88, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Sarahal88

Sarahal88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    Hi folks,

After having my flock for 2 years, finally one of my australorps seems to be going broody. She's been in a nest box for about 3 days now.

I have a light in my coops to give the flock 14 hours of light so that they would lay since late winter, after they finished their molt and had a break from laying for a while.

I want to move the broody out of the coop and give her some eggs to set on (she's on fakes now) but I realized that will mean she'll go back to natural day length which is about 12 hours right now, and increasing.

Will the lighting change have a negative impact on her broodiness?

And secondarily, how long should I wait to move her to have the best chance that she won't break out of being broody. I'm afraid it won't stick, since this is the first time one of my 12 hens ever has been broody before.

Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    First, are your eggs fertile? I would move her right now over eggs and see what happens. True broodiness does not go away that quickly. If hers' does, then it was worth a try. The lighting change is not that big, 14 to 12. JMO.
    WISHING YOU BEST... [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Sarahal88

Dec 31, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I have 12 hens and one healthy rooster in his prime, so I am hoping that most of my eggs would be fertile. Right now she is sitting on some fake eggs that I always leave in the nest box. The advice I have heard is not to put the eggs I want to hatch under her until she is moved and still acting broody, so that's my plan - I'm collecting eggs today and tomorrow and that should give her enough to sit on.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. Sarahal88

Dec 31, 2014
    Just to update this thread: I did move the broody after 3 days of setting into a separate mesh coop that we have (used to raise turkeys in there). I moved her at night, as is usually recommended, but she was too flustered to sit on the eggs that night - I think she couldn't find the nest in the dark. Luckily those were just the fake eggs, plus a few we weren't planning to hatch. The next day as soon as it got light enough to see, she got straight back on her new nest and stuck tight to it, so I collected the rest of the clutch I wanted to hatch. I was going to switch them out at night, as people often recommend, but I remembered how she didn't sit the first night we moved her, so I took her off in the late afternoon instead. I switch the eggs off and put her back into the crate with them and she went straight back to sitting right away.

She has been a textbook broody ever since. She gets up once a day at about 8am for a little water and food and a dust bath, and sits down about 20 minutes later.

The change in artificial day length does not seem to have affected her, and the move didn't phase her at all. The only thing that made me nervous was that when she comes out for her break, because she can see the other chickens, she sometimes paces and tried to get to to them - it made me worried she'd get distracted from her eggs. But so far she always returns to the nest in good time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by