1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Artificial daylight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardenJen77, Mar 25, 2017.

1. GardenJen77

GardenJen77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Michigan, USA
    Hello! My chicks have just been moved out into their new home. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Looks a little different inside now than when this pic was taken. During sunny days, there is PLENTY of sunlight that gets in here. However, right now it is dreary and rainy, so no real light. Question is, should I have some sort of "artificial" light (not heat lamp type) that will recreate daylight for them, until the sun comes back? Or will they be just fine in the gloomy light?

They are only 5 weeks old, and the run has not been built yet, due to the ground being to frozen yet to get the fence posts in. So this is where they are kept 24/7 right now.

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi! It's not bad for them to live in the gloomy light for a short time, but if you want, you can add some light. I have a cheap little solar-powered no heat light bulb that lasts about 6 hours for days when it's storming and my hens don't / can't go outside. They seem to appreciate it. You probably won't need an extra light source anymore after they start to go outside, because one dreary day won't matter then. Your coop looks really great. :) Good luck with building the run!

3. GardenJen77

GardenJen77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    Central Michigan, USA
    That's neat, a solar powered light. I like that idea! Yeah, it's quite stormy right now, so the chicks are adjusting to a lot in these first few days, sounds of the geese, cranes, cows, birds outside, and the pouring rain on the roof of the coop. All new to them lol, plus, not a lot of light since Saturday, due to the storms moving in, so that is new too. They are used to light all day. So many NEW things, in a short time lol.

4. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Wow, at least they won't be bored! Yeah, the solar powered light is cool, because it plugs into a little solar panel that I have stuck on the outside of the coop. The light is relatively dim, and it doesn't get hot. It's really the perfect solution! :)

5. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I have a solar powered light with the panel on my roof it is really nice on those gloomy days, I usually turn it on when I get the eggs in the afternoon so they have more light for a part of the day. I got mine off amazon which was relatively cheap.

6. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I got mine from my grandmother for my birthday. Wierd, right? :p She said it was buy one get one free, for about $10. It's a good deal for something like that :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by