Artificial insemination? Bantam roo x LF hen?

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
What's the biggest size difference you have seen between parents of chicks?

I understand that the mechanics of mating don't work out if there is to great a difference. Has anyone every artificially inseminated a LF hen with a bantam roo?

For sake of argument, what would happen if a Jersey Giant were inseminated with a Serama? Could the chicks hatch?

I should be getting some chocolate Seramas soon, and I'm curious about spreading the chocolate gene into LF birds.

I have a gal that is 1/2 standard EE and 1/2 Bantam Cochin. Because it was first generation of that combination, I allowed father /daughter mate and now we have a youngster from them. He is quite cute and reverted back to black and white.

I don't see why not breed the two together, yet I must ask why do you want to breed the two together? I realize its a "science project", as I call it, and don't mean to disrespect as I type this. Good luck and I'll look forward to reading how you do.

Well, it will be some time until I could make this cross, as I am getting chocolate serama pullets to start with, and I will have to "make" chocolate cockerels to go with them.

The "self-chocolate" or true chocolate color is only available in the U.S. in Seramas (supposedly) although I think Chocolate Orpingtons may have been recently imported. I love the idea of LF chocolate birds, but given the fact that Seramas are the smallest chickens there are, I was curious how to go about introducing the chocolate gene into a large bird.

Bailey,
Sounds like a fun project, for sure! I say, go for it! Heck, it's worth a try.

I have considered AI from my silkie roo to a black Jersey Giant. Wouldn't giant Silkies be fun?
gig.gif

Quote:
I don't actually have Jersey Giants, but hey, if the idea is a big chocolate chicken... Why not?

Maybe I'll go right for chocolate silkied Ameraucanas!

Someone on here has a Black Australorp X Seabright and that may be the biggest difference that I have heard of so far and I think it happened naturally. And I have had LR roos successive breed and produce offspring with Silkie and Cochin sized bantam hens, so I guess it would work. It would probably be safer if the mom was the large fowl breed.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. It seems like there might be hatching problems if a big roo fertilized a small bantam. And problems for her if they tried it naturally!

I guess I just need to give it a try. I wonder if the embryo would be too small to get out of a LF egg?

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. It seems like there might be hatching problems if a big roo fertilized a small bantam. And problems for her if they tried it naturally!

I guess I just need to give it a try. I wonder if the embryo would be too small to get out of a LF egg?

I have wondered about all that too so please be sure to keep us updated on how that works out if you do try it.

Quote:

I have wondered about all that too so please be sure to keep us updated on how that works out if you do try it.

I HATE It when I have do things myself. Sheesh! ha ha.

I guess I need to get intimate with my Serama cockerel and see what happens. He's not chocolate, but I could practice with him I suppose. When I let him out of the dark in the morning he is VERY interested in mating, so perhaps that's the best time to try. Time for that you tube video again...

I am getting a couple cockerels that may be carrying the chocolate gene, but it's not 100% certain. The pullets I'm getting are carrying it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom