Artificial insemination? Bantam roo x LF hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Oct 29, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    What's the biggest size difference you have seen between parents of chicks?

I understand that the mechanics of mating don't work out if there is to great a difference. Has anyone every artificially inseminated a LF hen with a bantam roo?

For sake of argument, what would happen if a Jersey Giant were inseminated with a Serama? Could the chicks hatch?

I should be getting some chocolate Seramas soon, and I'm curious about spreading the chocolate gene into LF birds.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a gal that is 1/2 standard EE and 1/2 Bantam Cochin. Because it was first generation of that combination, I allowed father /daughter mate and now we have a youngster from them. He is quite cute and reverted back to black and white.

I don't see why not breed the two together, yet I must ask why do you want to breed the two together? I realize its a "science project", as I call it, and don't mean to disrespect as I type this. Good luck and I'll look forward to reading how you do.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Well, it will be some time until I could make this cross, as I am getting chocolate serama pullets to start with, and I will have to "make" chocolate cockerels to go with them.

The "self-chocolate" or true chocolate color is only available in the U.S. in Seramas (supposedly) although I think Chocolate Orpingtons may have been recently imported. I love the idea of LF chocolate birds, but given the fact that Seramas are the smallest chickens there are, I was curious how to go about introducing the chocolate gene into a large bird.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Bailey,
    Sounds like a fun project, for sure! I say, go for it! Heck, it's worth a try.

I have considered AI from my silkie roo to a black Jersey Giant. Wouldn't giant Silkies be fun? [​IMG]

5. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:I don't actually have Jersey Giants, but hey, if the idea is a big chocolate chicken... Why not?

Maybe I'll go right for chocolate silkied Ameraucanas!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Someone on here has a Black Australorp X Seabright and that may be the biggest difference that I have heard of so far and I think it happened naturally. And I have had LR roos successive breed and produce offspring with Silkie and Cochin sized bantam hens, so I guess it would work. It would probably be safer if the mom was the large fowl breed.

7. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:That's what I was thinking too. It seems like there might be hatching problems if a big roo fertilized a small bantam. And problems for her if they tried it naturally!

I guess I just need to give it a try. I wonder if the embryo would be too small to get out of a LF egg?

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:That's what I was thinking too. It seems like there might be hatching problems if a big roo fertilized a small bantam. And problems for her if they tried it naturally!

I guess I just need to give it a try. I wonder if the embryo would be too small to get out of a LF egg?

I have wondered about all that too so please be sure to keep us updated on how that works out if you do try it.

9. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY

I have wondered about all that too so please be sure to keep us updated on how that works out if you do try it.

I HATE It when I have do things myself. Sheesh! ha ha.

I guess I need to get intimate with my Serama cockerel and see what happens. He's not chocolate, but I could practice with him I suppose. When I let him out of the dark in the morning he is VERY interested in mating, so perhaps that's the best time to try. Time for that you tube video again...

I am getting a couple cockerels that may be carrying the chocolate gene, but it's not 100% certain. The pullets I'm getting are carrying it for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by