Artificial insemination...PICS added...(no, not that kind!!)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We drove from Florida to Gulfport, MS yesterday (yeah....it was a quick trip trying to get there and back before the hurricane started wreaking havoc) to pick up our new bantam cochins. It was soooo worth the trip. We went for 5 and came back with 10!!! Just couldn't go all that way and not pick up extra pullets and a roo! They are absolutely gorgeous and I will post pics later today after I get a chance to take some.

These cochins are waaaay show quality and have been kept in condominiums separately so I think they are going to love life at our farm. One thing I learned from Chris yesterday was how to AI a hen. OMG, it was soooo simple and sooo quick. Of course, this way keeps the roos from pulling out show hens feathers.

Does anyone else AI their hens? With these heavily cushioned hens and roos, I think we will have to do this just to assure fertility, even if the roos are breeding naturally. Here is a photo of one of the roos that we got:

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Its a good idea, many of the cochins can't breed naturally due to thick feathering. My Buff Silkies can't seem to breed naturally either since the new females are so thick feathered. I have to AI. Some birds though cooperate better than others with it. My buff rooster is difficult at best to AI. I was shown one way to do it with my white rooster, but had to figure out a new way for the buff. I did manage to get fertility once this year with the buff and I set every egg for 2 weeks after that.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Do it if you're willing to, our banty cochins had terrible fertility! [​IMG] We only got one baby out of them the whole time we had them!

Cant wait to see pictures of your new fluffy butts!

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Wow! He is a looker! I'd love to see pics of some of your hens!

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I didn't get a lot of photos today...will post more this week. Here is a photo of one of the 4 month old pullets:

[​IMG][/img]

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There was an episode on Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe visited a turkey farm. Apparently turkeys are too large and cumbersome to breed on their own, so they are bred AI. It didnt look difficult at all, but you certainly needed to know what you were doing.

Needless to say, it was also hilarious.

7. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Wow!Those look like some fine fluff butts to me!Ther beautiful![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by