1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Artificial insemination......?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rdrdr, Feb 5, 2017.

1. rdrdr

rdrdr Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    Sir,
    As i mentioned in the previous post that my rooster and hen didnt mate so can i try artificial insemination for to breed the chicken as it is a rare breed...i saw some videos of artificial insemination...will it work and if it works how many times should i inseminate in order to fertilise tha eggs.........

2. rdrdr

rdrdr Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    Please reply me as quick as possible guys i need your help

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry I have no idea. But I want to Welcome you to Backyard chickens. Chicken hens do not go into "season," like a dog. AI can probably be done at any time as long as the chicken is old enough to lay eggs. If you have an experienced rooster I think he could handle things himself.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can put "artificial insemination" in the search box, and any articles will come up for you.

5. rdrdr

rdrdr Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    I tried as same as the video in the youtube videos for all three of roosters but nothing happen after the massage nothing protrude from the vent...shall i continue trying for the next few days or shall i wait...

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. Any chance your rooster is mating and you're just not seeing it? IS that the only hen he has access to? Just thinking if he had a few more maybe he would become more efficient. How old is he? Different birds mature at different times.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It would be helpful to have a few more details. Such as exactly how old the "hen" and "rooster" are. Are either of them over a year old, or are they still a pullet and cockerel? How long have you had them together? What is their housing like? Are you watching them 24/7? (If you're not watching them 24/7, they may be mating - if they're old enough - and you're not seeing it. It really doesn't take long.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by