Artificial light and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by river chicks, Oct 12, 2009.

1. river chicks

river chicks New Egg

Sep 21, 2009
    I have 11 chickies - cutest things I ever did see - and they are due start laying about now. They are only getting about 11 hours daylight. I know I am supposed to give 14 - 15 hours of light, using artificial light, to get eggs. I would rather let nature take it's course here, but wonder about a couple of things...1) will this hurt the girls in any way. 2)what effect will this have on their laying - no eggs at all, fewer than normal.... 3) the artificial light would also supply a little heat in their pen. Is this necessary in an insulated pen? Philadelphia, PA area. Thanks folks![​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

An insulated pen shouldn't need a light for heat, having a light won't really hurt them but it does make them burn out faster on egg laying if they are tricked into an unnatural hormone cycle, if you do not add a light you will have fewer than normal eggs, but they won't stop altogether.

Last year I had chickens right at laying age during the winter months and they layed well anyway, but my older hens slowed down as per usual.

3. river chicks

river chicks New Egg

Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I am anxious for that first egg!

4. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    No light needed. I agree with the other posts. I'm originally from Broomall, So I know the weather up there. Let nature do its thing. My girls laying slowed down in winter but they still laid some.
    If you new to raising chickens I wouldn't get to raped up with all these little details you may read about. Everyone has their own opinion so just stick to you gut feelings. They usually work.
    Have a great day and I hope the weather is nice for you today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by