artificial light for laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Oct 29, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The 3 runner ducklets are 12 weeks, so we have a while to go anyway before they would lay, but if we want them to maybe lay when they are old enough this winter, do we need to start giving them ~13 hours of light a day now, or wait until they are closer in age to lay?
    Their duck house is right next to an outlet under the eaves outside on the deck, so very easy to power a light for their duck hut.
    Better to use the light at night or in the morning or split it between morning and night?
    How bright does it need to be? Duck hut is just a cedar dog house that my doberman can fit in (not comfortably for him, but he fits lol)

the duck hut:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I wouldn't start now. They'll respond to gradually increasing amounts of light best, so when they're a week or two from laying age, start gradually increasing the length of light by 15-20 minutes per day. It doesn't have to be super bright. My friend has a little solar-powered light in her duck shed on a timer. I would guess it's the equivalent of 40 watts, but I'm not really sure.

Good luck!

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You have such a small space so 25 watts should do quite nicely. I would wait another month before I start gradually add the light. I would increase the time weekly by 30 minutes until you get 14-17 hours. Be aware that not only light is a factor. Temperature also plays a role. Try to keep it above freezing. I've found this dog house heater not to long ago with google. Not sure if it is good, but thought is was actually a nice idea.
    http://cozywinters.com/shop/hound-heater.html
    I do not add light in the evening, because I want them to lay in the morning before I let them out. My light comes on at 4am and turns off when daylight is up. I also have a baby night light in the duck house, or they won't go in. Picky little guys.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Don't have to worry much about getting below freezing on a normal basis down here in southern AL. Shouldn't need to worry about heating the duck hut.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Quote:[​IMG] You are right. Unlike here where we already had 18 at night. The duck house is insulated and the temp was only down to 42. Can't beat the duck's body heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by