artificial light

neilgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Las Vegas
I've heard that chickens go into molt in this time of the year becouse the days are shorter, and if I'll add artificial light for an extra 3 or 4 hour a day they will grow their feathers again and start laying eggs within a week.
Is this true?

Quote:
Not within a week they won't. You're not going to speed up the process, just won't extend it.

I've never heard that artificial light does anything for molting at all. I am wondering how long after feathers grow back in do they resume laying? Now I have two questions I'd like answers to!
I'll keep checking back here to see if anyone has a definitive answer.
CJ

A real molt maybe 1-2 months. Although some people have posted up to 3 months.
It is suggested that you can increase the protein in their diet to speed up the refeathering process. I don't know if it really speeds it up, but it does take protein to grow feathers so I would think it is a good thing.

Imp

Quote:
Wow, okay then. Clearly I just need to be more patient!!!
wink.png

Thanks for the answer.
CJ

Quote:
Wow, okay then. Clearly I just need to be more patient!!!
wink.png

Thanks for the answer.
CJ

I feel your pain. My good layers are going through it too. It's my first real molt. Have only had mini molts before. They look so pitiful.
lol.png

Imp

Oh Yeah, they looked so scraggly it was pathetic. All of them look great now except for my Big Red, she still looks pathetic. Only she has kept right on laying through the molt.
smile.png

CJ

Back
Top Bottom