Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I came across this article a couple of months ago and decided to give it a try, it make really good bread. It's basically a no-knead bread but you can keep the dough ready to go in the frig so that right before you start supper you can pull a hunk of dough out of the frig, set it on the counter to warm up while you preheat your oven, then bake. The dough is supposed to stay good in the frig for 2 weeks but I've never had any last that long so I don't really know if that is true. Mine usually lasts about a week. Out of the 13 cups of flour I usually get about 4 sometimes 5 loaves, depending on how big I make them.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

Master Formula 6-3-3-13

6 cups water
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons yeast
13 cups flour

Mix well, place in a very large plastic food container with a lid and allow to sit at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours stirring mixture down once every hour. Then stir dough down very well put the lid on and place in the refrigerator.

To use pull up a hunk of dough about the size of a large grapefruit and cut it off with a knife. Shape it into a ball using a little flour on your hands. Try to work the dough as little as possible.

Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and dust with flour. Cover with a lightly damp kitchen towel and let the dough sit for 1 hour. You will not see much if any rising.

While you are waiting for the dough to sit preheat the oven to 450 degrees with a cast iron dutch oven in it. When the hour is up, move the dough to the oven using the parchment paper and place it in the hot pot, paper and all. Place the lid on the pot and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake 15 more minutes to get color on the crust.

5MinuteBread005.jpg

5MinuteBread007.jpg

I have used this method for the past couple of years. I found out that the Dutch Oven is not necessary.

I wipe a little bit of oil on a Cookie Sheet and spread Corn Meal. Shake off the excess and put the dough
right on the cookie sheet. Wipe a little oil on the top of the dough. Cover with Kitchen towel and let sit.
I also crank the oven to 500 degrees. After an hour, Bake it for 15 minutes @500, then turn down the oven
to 400 and bake until you get a "Hollow" sound when tapped. (about 25-30 minutes)

Comes out looking just like yours, but with larger holes inside.
smile.png
and it tastes soooooooo good.

Here's another tip... Mix up dough, place in a large bowl with plastic wrap on the top. Let sit on your counter
for 36-48 hours. Stirring the dough every 12 hours. Proceed with the above instructions.

It gets a little "Sour" and tastes even better...the problem is, no one can wait that long to make the bread.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It gives the yeast a lot longer time to do their thing. It will be a very loose dough. Just fold it over a couple of times and it should stiffen up some.
When the Yeasties have a longer time to work, you will get a taste of "Sour Dough". It is to out of this world.

Also, have you tried adding seeds to it...Or substituting a cup of Rye flour for 1 cup of the White? Try 2 Tbls of Poppy seeds.

Quote:
It gives the yeast a lot longer time to do their thing. It will be a very loose dough. Just fold it over a couple of times and it should stiffen up some.
When the Yeasties have a longer time to work, you will get a taste of "Sour Dough". It is to out of this world.

Also, have you tried adding seeds to it...Or substituting a cup of Rye flour for 1 cup of the White? Try 2 Tbls of Poppy seeds.

Next time I mix up a batch I'll give that a try, thanks for the tips...
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom