1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Artisan Goat's Milk Soaps - Shape Preference Help

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by greenfamilyfarms, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Square/Rectangular

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Oval

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Preference

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Hello everybody! We are considering changing our soaps and would like some input before we do so. We currently make our soaps in 4-ounce size in plastic oval molds, but we are considering making them in wooden box molds. The process and ingredients will be the same, the shape and possibly the weight of each soap will just be different. When you are looking to purchase artisan soaps, which shape do you prefer?

Square/Rectangular:
    [​IMG]
    Photo above by Kathy Miller

Oval:
    [​IMG]

Find us on Facebook

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm pragmatic--size & shape dont matter to me as long as I have some Green Family Farms goat milk soap! Will be ordering again soon.

3. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally it doesn't matter to me either. But, I feel the square/rectangle shaped soaps may pack, ship better and store easier. I know with the soap I use square seems easier to hold onto

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    you need custom molds with a goats head on it!!!!

5. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I like the oval as it's easier to handle and doesn't have the sharp edges a new square bar has.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I like the oval for soaping onto a wash cloth. That being said, when I make soap, I make it rectangular. I find it very hard to get my soap out of the shaped molds, and many bars end up less than pretty. I suspect a rectangular bar would cut down on waste. Most soap is in rectangular bars.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    mom'sfolly :

I like the oval for soaping onto a wash cloth. That being said, when I make soap, I make it rectangular. I find it very hard to get my soap out of the shaped molds, and many bars end up less than pretty. I suspect a rectangular bar would cut down on waste. Most soap is in rectangular bars.

That's one issue I'm having as well. I supposed I could make some of each type...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by