Aruacana eggs...candling advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SirTerris, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SirTerris

SirTerris Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm on day 7 of a small incubation of 7 aruacana eggs, so I've candled them, but most are a little too dark to see anything other than an air cell, aside from one where I could clearly see spider veins...

Should I assume that the 6 where I couldn't see anything are not going to hatch and toss them? Or should I leave them be?

Do infertile eggs even have air cells...this is only my second time incubating so I'm a little lost...

I dont know if it helps, but daddyrooster (Duzell) is a 9 month old light sussex...

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Hello [​IMG],

I'm attempting to incubate (shipped) true Araucana eggs, also a first time hatcher..... When I candled at day 7, there were several that were so dark I couldn't make out anything. So I just kept them. My philosophy is: If it doesn't stink, it stays until day 14. - Because, at day 14 I should be able to tell (easily) the good eggs from the duds. I started with 41 eggs and just removed half of them [​IMG].

Since yours came from your backyard, you'll likely have better results.

Good Luck!

3. Suprise-Chicks

Suprise-Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

SirTerris,

Leave them. day 7 see hard to see unless you have a strong flashlight.
    I use a hunting flashlight, which is 960 lumens and for the Lavender Araucana eggs it works well.

I have just hatched Lavender Araucanas, four weeks ago and again 2 weeks ago.
    I also wait until it dark before I candle to make it easier.

There is no harm in leaving the eggs in the incubator, so wait a few days and candle again.
    [​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    HI there! NEVER assume. If you can't be sure, leave them in as long as they don't stink or leak. I don't pull anything until day 10, and that's ONLY if I am sure it's a clear or a quitter. I have green egg layers that after they start developing you can't tell anything for sure. Even with a good flashlight and new batteries. As long as they don't stink or leak I leave them right in there.

All eggs develop air cells.

Good luck on your hatch!

5. SirTerris

Dec 8, 2015
    Thanks :) I'll leave them in then, and just...move the ones I think might be duds to the opposite corner of the incubator on my day 10 candling, that way if they happen to leak they won't leak near the egg that is 100% likely to be good...

it is a 48 egg incubator and I've only got 7 eggs in there, so i can afford to give them plenty of space.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's what I do!! lol If I have room, which I usually do, I set them off to one side or one corner.

7. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    The ones I took out were pretty clear, unfortunately. A couple of them, I could see the yolk, but there was no veining or spots... no sign of development at day 14. The dark ones I have, I did keep them.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I throw out my clears too. I can usually see into my green ones for the first week, then forget it...lol

9. SirTerris

Dec 8, 2015
    I'll be candling again as soon as it gets dark. Had to top up the water this morning and took the time to move the eggs away from each other while i was doing that though...

Edit: Candled them again and couldn't see a thing...aside from that one was a little cracked, so I took that one out, moved the remaining 5 that I'm not sure about away from the one that I know for a fact is okay, and will leave them in there til day 18 and candle again (or remove any that look cracked or oozy or smell bad when I top up water)

Im thinking of putting a little plastic divider between the good egg and the questionable ones when i go into lockdown...just to prevent the new baby from kicking and scrabbling over potentially rotten eggs...

good idea or bad?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by