Arucana Eggs And Chicken noises?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bunnytamer, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Bunnytamer

Bunnytamer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    So, hello anybody who reads this ! How are you and your chickens? any tips for showbirds to keep healthy in winter?
    Also, I have a female arucana ( or at least i hope so!) Who should start laying by now, but how many egg should i expect from her in upcoming spring ? I heard they dont lay much. ( Shes from a good breeder in england, she was around 8 dollars ! ) . Also how do i clean my chickens up? Its been raining and i havent covered the tarp ( some of the ground gets wet ) and then they get all dirty and i cant hold them... and Jane ( my arua) 's cheek puffs always clump together and i cant clean them well...
    Also do you ever go outside in the morning and your hens make a loud BRUUAAAH noise until you go in and notice them? They do that , and then im watching tv and i hear one of my silver lace wyandottes making a continious, loud, CRAAA CRAAA CRAA CRAAA , and usually theres a magpie two houses down. Is she just protecting the flock?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It sounds like they are sounding the alarm when ever a predator or presumed predator is around. When they holler like that it signals the others to run for cover. Also, Auracanas don't have "face puffs". They should have what's called tufts and should be rumpless with no tail. Otherwise, your bird is probably an Ameraucana or an EE. Would love to see a picture of her.

3. Bunnytamer

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    Oh yes , sorry. Im awefully tired and forgot about the tufts. And she does have a tail, but its normal but she does normally keep it down . Its weird.
    And when she does , she just sits there and does it for 5 minutes, and the other chickens dont do anything, seeming like nothing is wrong. It seems different from About-to-lay-a-egg call. Sorry again if i seem inexperienced.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    That noise could be her way of saying she wants something. Some of my chickens do that noise before I go out to feed them in the morning, and some of my younger roosters will do it too if they are chased away by the roosters in charge.

5. Bunnytamer

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    Its always interesting to hear them. And then watching them play around with each other outside.

6. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    My three anericaunas began laying at 26-27 and 28 weeks. Since then they lay every other day. Their first eggs were peewee size and so cute. But they are now up to small and one is laying medium size. They will get bigger as they mature more. My oldest americauna has almost stopped laying as she is in heavy molt and about 5 years old. She lays a huge egg when she lays.

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    In England the araucana is different than here in the US. They have a tail, a crest sometimes and beards and muffs. They look more like ameraucana than they do araucana, but they are British araucana.

My US araucana laid eggs all winter last year, however this year they stopped laying 3 weeks ago. So it looks like they are done for the winter. I would cover at least part of their chicken area so there is a dry spot that they can scratch around in.

Lanae

8. Bunnytamer

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    That is probably what she is, he said he got her from there, and i was pretty sure she was an arucana. thank you, now i know what to lable her at fair!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by