Arucana getting pecked by Wyandotte! Help!

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
My Arucana(Henny Penny) is having her feather shafts be damaged and pulled out on the rump by one of my Wyandottes(Jenny). Its getting bloody and the other chickens other than Jenny are starting to peck at it. I'm afraid it will get worse and start to get infected. Would separating Henny Penny from the other chickens help? If so, any ideas on a quick shelter to house her in?
hu.gif
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I've had this problem as well. Once they see blood it's hard to get them to stop pecking at it so you need to separate her until she scabs over. Use something on the spot to prevent infection and change the color to something other than red - Blue Coat spray works well and is usually available at any farm store. You can use an antibiotic ointment on the sore spots until you are ready to return her and then spray with blue coat to mask the scab. If you have a dog crate or carrier that can work for a day or so. Even a big cardboard box with a screen on top would be better than nothing if you don't have other options. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!
yippiechickie.gif
Henny Penny is pretty low in the pecking order so I tend to see her get pecked a lot by the other chickens but not this bad.

I would also add that you might want to increase their protien intake. Sometimes they pick feathers because of the protien in the feathers. I was having this problem too with my pullets picking feathers off my rooster. Since I increased their protien, the feather picking has stopped. I agree with the suggestions that karimw gave. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom