As green as they get...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jayrf929, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Jayrf929

Jayrf929 In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2018
    Hello everyone my name is Jay. I live in Massachusetts with my wife and 2 kids. I’m new to everything that involves raising chickens. I had some free range eggs a few months ago and realized how much better they are than store bought and decided I wanted chickens. I’m in the process of building my own coup and hope to buy chicks in the spring. I’ll post pictures when it is complete. My kids are pretty excited about it and look forward to helping raise them.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes. I hope to start my flock in the Spring.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I’m thinking I’ll have 6-8 chickens

(3) What breeds do you have?

None yet but the breeds I’m interested in are Buff Orpingtons, Blue laced red Wyandottes, Silkies, Rhode Island Reds, and always open for suggestions. Probably will only have a couple of the breeds listed, not all.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

By googling questions and searching for info. More often than not I found myself here so I figured I’d join.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Watching sports, going to the gun range, and most of all spending time with my family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My wife and I just celebrated our anniversary on October 10th. We’ve been happily married for 8 years now. We have a 6 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. We don’t have any pets at this time but will have a dog one day. Hope it gets along with the chickens

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

By googling info. I’ve only known about it for a few months. Joined for the plethora of info available here. I’ll be asking a lot questions! Thanks for reading.

Jay

2. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA
    Easter Eggers and Golden Laced Wyandottes are both good. So are Rhode Island Reds.

3. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    So nice to have you here!!!! let me know if you need help with anything!:welcome:ya:celebrate:clap:highfive::yesss::jumpy:bun:woot

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    GroupWelcome.gif

This is a perfect place to learn about chicken raising!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens

5. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Welcome to BYC! I highly recommend Silkies as they are super sweet but bad on the eggs. Rhode Island Red or RIR as they are super sweet and very good on eggs. Buff Orpingtons as they are super sweet and also decent on eggs. Naked Neck-Turkens are big gals that are pretty. White Leghorns are super good on eggs. Mine layed through the winter but I am in California so yeah. Good luck! :hugs

6. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Songster

Sep 18, 2018
    Welcome, Jay!

It's hard to beat having your own free-range eggs. Congratulations on doing your research before you jump into chicken ownership.

I have or have had all the breeds you mentioned, except the silkies. All have been great birds -- good layers with good dispositions. Good luck with your spring plans.

7. alexa009

alexa009 Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Good luck on selecting a chicken breed! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

8. OkieChickenGal

OkieChickenGal Songster

Nov 23, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Hello Jay! Welcome to Byc! Glad you joined the flock! :woot

9. adrikeen

adrikeen Whooo let the chicks ooout? Peep...peep...peep

Sep 10, 2012
    Newark Delaware
    [​IMG]
    Welcome Jay! Glad to have you join our flock! Do post photos of your new flock to be and coop once you get started! All of us are willing to help if you have questions!

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops
    There are a couple of links in my signature that are worth the short read.
    BYC has an APP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: