1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

As the roo turns , I hope its not true. Any chance hazel isnt a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barg, May 11, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Time to worry about roo's again? Here are my 2 dominiques.
    Its very hard to get decent pics of the combs but, at the same age they do seem to have different combs. The pink color doesnt show in these pics, they actually are both a little pink but the top one has quite a bit more, and there is more structue to the comb itself.
    Time to worry yet...? :eek:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for your opinions and expertise [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    It is hard to tell looking straight down on the comb, but it looks like the top one may be a roo. Do you have any more pictures?

3. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    This is Hazel... maybe Herald? pics taken today.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    3 weeks and 2 days old... aprox
    Let me know what ya think, you can kinda see the pink in some of them but the camera does wash it out a bit.

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    If both the same age, the one with the larger comb and starting to develop wattles, is probably a roo.

5. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    I didnt notice wattles, I didnt look before you pointed it out, is that what those are, could this still be a hen? Its supposed to be 90% chance of female.
    One of my black australorps still looks a bit suspicious too.

6. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Here are a couple new shots from today. I'm quickly getting the idea that Hazel will end up going to live with someone else, 2 people have told me it looks a rooster, is there any hope. The top picture is "Dominique" the Dominique, the bottom one is "Hazel" the Dominique
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Think you've got a boy on the right there.

8. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    can you be sure they are from the same hatch? maybe they are a couple of days apart. My SLW has a rose comb and "her" comb is pronounced and pink at the base while the top of the comb is yellow. Maybe it's a rose-comb thing? I really don't know. I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I personally think its too early to make other arrangements for the chick though

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  9. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    What I didnt know:
    My wife is the one that bought the chicks.
    She just told me they were sent to the feed store from Murray McMurray(correction...they came from privett hatchery) and were most likely a couple days old or so when we got them. the chicks were picked randomly from a bin of about 50 of them.

This in mind, I cant be sure of age parentage etc... all I know is that they were "sexed pullets"

Will wattles and comb develope at different rates from different stock?

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, they will develop a bit differently from different stocks, but usually not too differently. Even if they are sexed, there is still a chance of a mistake. Wait a few more weeks as time will be the only real teller of what you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by