ASAP help with my rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brwneggs, Jul 3, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My hens like to dig the holes in the yard, and they lay in it. I have Isa browns, but I can not tell one apart form the other. Yesterday I was mad and scared at the same time. One hen was laying in a hole, and some of the other hens were picking on her. Then he comes up and starts pecking on her, and she would jump, probably cause he was hurting her. I went out and scared him. he let out a loud cluck, but than they went to eating.
    What do I do? I have heard that once blood is drawn, they (hens and rooster) will peck a bird to death. "I think I really want to get rid of the rooster".
    Thank you

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's up to you whether you want to get rid of the rooster or not. The hens will continue to pick/peck at the other hen, especially if there's blood. You need to find out why they were pecking at her, seperate her if you have to and treat the problem as needed.

3. brwneggs

brwneggs Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Its hard to do that. For one thing, they all look alike to me, and another thing, you have to crawl in the run. Thats why I am sooo desperate. Dont know what to do. And thsts probably why I only got 5 eggs today instead of 6.
    Quote:

4. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    If there was blood drawn then you can tell which one she is.. if not you will have to watch ans see. if they start picking on her again they you will need to seperate her at that time but she will need to be separate until you find out what the problem is

5. brwneggs

brwneggs Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    When I got them, I kind of wondered then. "If" its the same hen, she had blood on the side of head, and her white tail feathers were gone.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by