ASBO Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hoppelchen, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Had to cull a nasty 5 day old quail -- it was epically aggressive, viciously pecking every other quail it came across every few seconds totally indiscriminately and pursuing them, it pecked one quail's eye out (and still went back for more) and was working busily on another one when I took it out. (I admit I watched a short while in disgusted fascination, never seen anything like it, yikes)

I kept it separate for a while thinking it may snap out of whatever mode it was in(devil space?), but it was yelling and decidedly unhappy, but when I put it back, it's crime spree just continued and so... I dispatched it as I had no idea what to do to stop it from being a menace.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and did you find a better solution than me?

Hoppelchen, the failed quail psychologist

2. matefrio

matefrio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Got 20 as my first batch. Nothing like that behavior. Glad you took him out of the blood line.

Now I'm singing "Bad to the Bone" to myself.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. B. Kossum

B. Kossum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    I would have linebred it and made some fightin' quail. lol/.jk

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. thai

thai Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    san diego
    i hatched a batch of 50 quails few months ago, have 1 behaved like that too. just too agressive ( it's was a golden quail). i killed it.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:this happens mostly in my grow out pen it happens more when there all almost all roosters as opposed to a 50 / 50 mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by