Ascites or internal laying, or???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pampered Hen, May 13, 2010.

1. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    I have a 2-year old Wyandotte hen who has been eating poorly and is moving much slower than everybody else. Yesterday when I checked her over I noticed that abdomen was swollen. What am I looking for in determining whether the abdomen is filled with liquids vs. swollen organs?
    For further information: I have unsuccessfully been treating her for her bumblefoot. The scab and puss keeps coming back. She molted very late in winter (Jan/Feb) and has been very slow at that. Coinciding with her molt she had stopped laying and I haven’t seen an egg from her since. I’m wondering two things: What are the chances that her foot-infection has spread into her body and/or could she been laying internally?
    I'm a bit of the squemish sort and never have poked a needle into an animal. However, I'm willing to give her a try if draining of her abdomen is an option and/or injectable penicillin is recommended.
    Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

I forgot to mention: her comb is not dark or blue in color. It is, however much paler than normal.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Ascites is also called 'water belly' as the bird's abdomen feels like a water balloon. It must be treated or it will eventually kill the bird by stressing her heart and circulatory system. I had a silver laced wyandotte with ascites that was caused by fatty liver syndrome (the vet thinks). I took her to the vet because, like you, I didn't want to stick her myself. You have to be careful not to penetrate her intestines as you will cause peritonitis. After draining a pint of fluid and putting her on milk thistle extract for the fatty liver problem, she has recovered and is doing fine. I hope your bird can get her fluid drained and recover quickly.

3. Pampered Hen

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Thanks!
    I'm still trying to figure out what I'm dealing with here. Her abdomen is definitely bigger than any of my healthy hens, but I can't say it feels like a water balloon, yet it is neither hard. And where exactly would I place a needle to drain accumulated fluids?

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    That's the reason I took my bird to a vet to do the draining. If you don't want to do that, you might search for threads where people were successful in draining their chicken's abdomen. I remember seeing at least one thread that described a successful treatment. Perhaps you could send them a private message asking for details. Good luck!

5. Pampered Hen

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Well,
    my friend's vet was kind enough to come over and take a look at her. The prognosis is not good. It is neither ascites, not egg-binding, but rather a growth/tumor or internal laying. I will put her on Tetracycline beginning tomorrow, it might help fight off secondary infections, but will likely not cure her. I will keep a very close eye on her. I won't have her suffer needlessly.
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by