Ascites or internal laying-should i atempt draining?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittlePip21, Mar 3, 2017.

1. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've done this, but the risks are infection and shock. I successfully drained a hen with ascites so bad, her belly was dragging on the ground. It gave her tremendous relief. However, I had to keep putting the needle (large gauge) in to draw out liquid, and she developed an infection at the source and died the following day, the skin very red and hot.

If I ever do the procedure again, I would give an antibiotic in conjunction with the procedure. I knew not to drain her completely, but she kept leaking the fluid afterward, and perhaps that contributed to her death.

Ascites is the symptom not the cause, so draining only gives temporary relief. I think in the future I would euthanize rather than treat, since it's only prolonging the life of a chicken with serious liver disease.

3. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Thanks for your input, I will take this into consideration. [​IMG]

4. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Update: I decided to drain her. I sterilized the needle, this is what I got.

[​IMG]
    this is only a portion, I tried not to drain too much. when I skim the top with a swab it comes out straw yellow, but in the bottom there is some blood. She is still leaking straw liquid, she ate a tiny bit, and is now more willing to stand and walk around. she doesn't seem in shock, but only time will tell. should I have gone in more shallowly? I held her up so all the fluid gathered at the bottom of the abdomen. well see, but any advice would be helpful.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've done it a couple of times and found the best way is to use a 14 gauge needle, pluck feathers around injection site, clean skin thoroughly with disinfectant, insert needle, use 30 ml or larger syringe and remove as much fluid as possible, which is usually no less than 500 ml.

What's important to know is that the fluid will return, and the bird will eventual die from the underlying disease, so that's something to think about. :(

1 person likes this.
  6. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Yes, it can give some relief and time, but it's definitely not a cure. Personally, I guess I will treat it like a cancer or tumor, let them be happy as long as they can, and put them out of pain when they aren't anymore. [​IMG] she is responding well so far, her poop is no longer liquid, and is returning to brown. She's drinking a lot of water, and eating some. She's also wanting to walk around and voice her opinion some too[​IMG] trying not to get my hopes up, I'll see how she is in the morning. Thank you all for your support, and hopefully this will be helpful to others as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  7. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Update: still better, she even jumped into her box by herself last night! Still, the underlying problem is wearing on her, and she has "episodes" of yawning and head shaking. Her poop today is dark yellow with fecal bits, but definitely more substantial than before draining. She's drinking well and eating a little. Just wanted to update you guys

8. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Still going strong, her apitite is pretty good, and she seems happy. I'm going to drain her again soon, possibly tomorrow.

9. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Hi, things are still going up, she even took a dust bath today! Last week I drained her again, didn't get much, but it was a lighter yellow. I didn't push the needle in the whole way, and I got a bit of blood, not from inside but from where I punctured the skin. Definitly going to push it in the whole way next time. She seems happy, and i have her so that she can forage in the lawn and still see her flock across the fence. I'm feeding her a handful of fresh fruits and veggies at night, and she's eating regular amounts of feed along with her scraps. Shes doing really well, but she has to lay down every couple of minutes because of her bum legg. Her episodes are very rare now. She's still underwaeight though. Overall she seems really happy and healthy!

10. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Also i forgot to mention, but her poop is basically normal now, maybe a little messy but normal color and consistency. Still no eggs, I haven't gotten any since she hurt her leg a couple years ago.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by