ascites success story

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickies2, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Chickies2

Chickies2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    My Ruby was waddling around with "water belly" like she was bull legged. After consulting with BYC, we got our syringe, drained her best we could in one sitting. That evening, most of what was left just flowed out during the night in the coop. She had lost some weight but she is putting it back on now and doing great. She never really seemed to feel bad, she continued to eat and drink and was active, she just waddled and was having trouble breathing. She never stopped laying either. She is doing awesome now and I am very thankful for BYC.

2. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    That is awesome! I'm glad she's doing better. [​IMG] Just make sure to keep an eye on her I've read some threads that sometimes it comes back after a bit.

3. Chickies2

Mar 29, 2013
    Right, I am.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It is true that draining the fluid does help them feel vastly better. But there is always an underlying cause that draining the fluid does not cure, so it does usually come back with time. But draining it can buy them some time, depending on what caused it in the first place. Some hens can go on for quite some time with regular draining. But again, cause is key.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's certainly true that draining the fluid can give the afflicted chicken immense relief, and because it's usually the result of liver disease, it's not going to cure the situation.

Anyone who plans to perform this procedure needs to be aware that infection is possible when introducing a needle into the abdomen. You would be wise to start the bird on antibiotics before the procedure and continue afterward for a minimum of ten days total.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I just did one yesterday, but I suspect that she has cancer or liver disease and is not long for this world.

-Kathy

7. Chickies2

Mar 29, 2013
    I

8. Chickies2

Mar 29, 2013
    well Ruby has blowed up again and stopped laying. Any thoughts? My other two have also stopped laying and all three are sleeping in the nest. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by