Ascites?

MGG

Enabler
Feb 7, 2020
Hi guys. My SLW hen is kinda lethargic, hasn't layed in a few days, and has a very swollen abdomen. It is really squishy. I want to try and drain it, but I don't have a syringe with a needle. I have syringes and I have needles, can I poke in the needle and then poke in the syringe? I'm confused. Any help you can offer would be great. We aren't allowed to go anywhere for at least 2 weeks, as we traveled recently and are self-quarantining. I have some durvet liquid vitamin b complex. Here are a couple pics of her. They aren't uploading...

Ok here they are. Excuse the rooster damage, the roo has been removed. I don't have any money to spend on this, I just want to help if there's anything I can do with what I have

I don’t see the pictures. To drain a hen with ascites, you must disinfect the skin with betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol. Ascites fluid is yellow to dark amber. If it is clear and colorless, that is something different. Then use an 18 gauge needle or larger 16 if possible. Here are 2 videos by the same person draining their hen:

Wow, sorry I don't know why that didn't work. Here's a poc of one of her poops too. Hopefully this works
20200322_164337_HDR.jpg
20200322_164139_HDR.jpg
20200322_164324_HDR.jpg

I don’t see the pictures. To drain a hen with ascites, you must disinfect the skin with betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol. Ascites fluid is yellow to dark amber. If it is clear and colorless, that is something different. Then use an 18 gauge needle or larger 16 if possible. Here are 2 videos by the same person draining their hen:

I don't have any needle syringe thingys though. Can I poke her with a regular needle (I have sewing needles, pins, bobbins) and just let it drain? Can I use rubbing alcohol to disinfect the skin?

Yes, rubbing alcohol is okay, but the others are better. You can get a small bottle of Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) at Walmart in the first aid aisle—or you normally can when there is not a pandemic going on. I couldn’t even find soap last week. I would go to a farm or feed store and get a hypodermic needle and a large syringe. You can’t use any kind of needle. Draining her is not absolutley necessary. Many do it, but it is an invasive procedure, and not without risk. I never have drained any of mine, although I know how. Ascites is eventually fatal, so I prefer to put them down if they appear to be suffering. I do necropsies on most of the hens that I lose, and have found ascites on several. Other causes for a swollen lower abdomen, are salpingitis, internal laying, and egg yolk peritonitis.

Last edited:
Reproductive problems may cause the to stop laying, have an enlarged lower belly, and some may waddle or have problems walking, preferring to sit, may have runny poops, a lowered tail, or a decreased appetite.

Reproductive problems may cause the to stop laying, have an enlarged lower belly, and some may waddle or have problems walking, preferring to sit, may have runny poops, a lowered tail, or a decreased appetite.
That does sound exactly what she's doing. Should I just leave it I guess? I can't go anywhere, and I'd prefer not to cull her. Anything I can do? I have some nutridrench, but I don't know if that wouod do anything?

Back
Top Bottom