Aseel breed rooster injured and in very bad condition

zaheer

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Hi all,

I am a bit in tension as two of my Aseel roosters (Pakistani Heavy breed) fought one morning when they opened the door of cage when one was already outside.They have very big spurs so they fought in my absence and one of the rooster teared opened the back side skin of my other roosters head.Now it was very large so I with a help of a friend stiched it as I have done it before and all went well.All was ok and after 2 weeks I opened the stiches.Now all was ok only it was a bit swollen and after cheking it for few minutes I saw that it still had a stitch left and thread with knot is still there so I opened it and removed the thread and to my surprise a big gunk type thing came out with it but looked flat and like skin and more than an inch flat maybe two inches. Then I applied Iodince Tincture B.P and as a friend suggested gave it panadol tablet. and applying this medicine daily but the rooster is not eating anything and becoming very weak day by day and lost too much weight.

What can I do to take good care of my Rooster as I don't want to lose him.We don't have any vet or vet medicines available in our city.

I am worried a lot as its not eating anything.I have to feed him myself.

Do the Pen G for at least three days. I think the dose is .10 ml per 10lbs. That's one tenth of a cc not 10, btw. And tube feed him and water him if you have to. If you have anything with extra vitamin B, give him that too.

I'm not familiar with the medications you are mixing with the penicillin, so I don't know. If it were me, I would just give him the three day injections of PenG and skip the pain medicine. Vitamin and mineral supplements would be ok, but I think the pain meds could be hindering him or affecting him adversly. If the wound still looks infected, a topical antibiotic should be ok.

After looking it up, I would not give the bird Dicloran. It may be causing his problems. I don't see any reason to give it to him in the first place.

Dicloran is an NSAID I believe, and probably should not be used. Aspirin is probably the only safe pain med for chickens. When you stitched up his wound he could have had an over growth of anaerobic bacteria in the wound. It could be resistant to the penicillin. You seem to know a lot about medicines, so I would switch him to an antibiotic for penicillin resistant bacteria. Perhaps doxicycline? Also if his wound had any E.coli in it, that can travel easily through the air sacs, and would be very difficult to ever fully treat. Hope you can help him.

Last edited:
There are no veterinarians on this site--only people who own chickens who like to help people. I'm sure someone out there may know your answer, but most of us have hobby chickens. BYC has a few vets that belong to the site, but most don't post a lot.

Firslty making roosters fight is haram especially if money is involved, im not saying u did but warning u of it.

As for your problem , seel nu zibba kars ;)

I dont use aseels for fight or something or gambling as you said money blah blah....read the post clearly then reply and the last line is in which language? I cant understand

I need help not lame suggestions from you

You could be dealing with a staph infection, in which case I would use injections of penicillin. Keep him warm, quiet in a crate where you can watch him closely. Provide vitamins and electrolytes and make sure he is getting protein. Scrambled egg, chick starter mash, etc... On the actual wound I would use plain triple antibiotic ointment without the pain relief. Anything ending with "cain" is toxic to chickens, so plain triple antibiotic ointment or Vetrocin is important. If there is swelling and redness in the would, you may have to drain it again, flush with betadine solution and apply the Vetrocin or triple antibiotic ointment.Good luck and keep us updated.

I have injcted him a penicillin with neorobin mixed with it and gave him panadol also two or three days back and he was becoming all fine but again he started becoming weak after i removed the threads stiching from his head.should i again inject him a penicillin only or penicillin with neorobin mixed? I have baneocin powder.will it be good to apply?

Back
Top Bottom