Ash from wood stoves?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarlieO, Jan 8, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Hello! So I read a thread from several years ago where several people had mentioned putting ash (like the stuff you clean out of your home's wood burning fireplace) in the chicken coop and/or run to dust bathe in.

Has anyone else heard of that or done it? My immediate thought is the fine dust that is in it causing respiratory problems.

I'm asking because we have 3 wood burning fireplaces, so we have a TON of ash on a regular basis and if it makes the girls (and boys) happy I'd give it to them!

Thoughts?

2. dowgirl71

dowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    Hi CarlieO, I frequently scoop out some ash from our pellet stove and mix it with the sand I use for their dust baths, but don't have as much as you probably do. "My girls" love it and haven't developed any breathing issues. I also mix in a little DE and that seems even dustier than the ash. Good luck![​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've done it for years. I usually do it in the run, not the coop, for the ventilation. I do put a bucket in the coop once in a while during the winter when the coop is muddy, just not tons and tons. I figure the ash isn't much different than the fine dust they kick up while dusting in dirt. I've never had respiratory issues. I also have no external parasites.

1 person likes this.
  4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I did not know this!! we had been leaving the door open to the rabbit house for them because it is always dry in there but they have created so many potholes its dangerous for us. .was JUST telling my husband we need to figure something out for them...I am now going to save all my wood ashes for them...thanks!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, those bathing spots are ankle twisters, for sure! It's like the surface of the moon or something out there [​IMG]

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    heck yes they are! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by