1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ashamed to ask...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jencleg, May 11, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    We purchased (6) approx 4 week old baby silkies on Monday night...have we missed the window of age to where they will bond to us? I really wanted chicks, but we found these about 2 miles from our house. I know it has only been 2 days and I will do everything I need to do for them..... but I really want them to love us [​IMG]

2. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Offer lots of treats and they will learn to love you!!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think you have missed the opportunity to bond. Yes treats are the answer. Give them treats in exchange for gentle handling, and try not to get into games of chase the chicken with them.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    My chicks have all been terrified of me until they started laying. It takes a while- it's definitely a slow process, but with lots of treats they will come around. They ALWAYS do!

5. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    If it counts, when we hold them they calm down pretty fast & sometimes go to sleep...or pass out from fear [​IMG] LOL! Not sure at this point! What treats can they have @ 4 weeks?

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    The 2 day old chicks I got were terrified whenever I tried to hold them. They freaked when separated. I found I couldn't get them to bond with me until they were older. All they seem to care about is that I have the food, so they like me.

I got my banty at about 4-5 weeks. She hadn't been handled much at all and now she loves me, go figure. Handle them frequently until they close their eyes and relax in your arms and give them treats. They'll come around...

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, I agree with aubreynoramarie- when they start laying they become much friendlier.

Sometimes it just takes sitting with them a lot, holding them in your lap and talking to them.

All chicks I have noticed go through a phase where they just seem so terrified of us (worst at 3 weeks). Then they get over it and get friendly. Some breeds (not the silkies though) are flighty and never quite can tolerate being held.

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    here is a link to a treat chart https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

But
    give them some chick grit (in some farm stores) or give them lots of access to peck around in sand. Give them very small pieces of treat and not too much at once. I might stay away from the more fibrous or seed treats while they are young. Soft fruits are a good place to start.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i have chicks from 4-9 week and some have "loved" me since day one and i have some that freak everytime they see me because i'm usually catching them so i can them in their daytime coop and i have some that are just now calming down and aren't screaming bloody murder when i hold them most of them will eat out of my hand and will come check me out when i'm in their run it just takes time

10. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    food, treats, yep, there you have it! If the food makes a sound (like in a can) or you make a special noise each time, so much the better -- they'll learn to respond to that sound and come running!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by