Asia dominates in Egg Consumption

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Junkmanme, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

2. Kojack

Kojack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Independence
    interesting article. do you think we may be on the rise in consumption?
    you know as the east goes so goes the US, when it comes to many trends

3. Junkmanme

YES, Kojack,

My unbased opinion is that the US will experience or IS experiencing a "rise" in consumption.

A few reasons I feel this way:

1. Backyard Chickens is a "growing fad".
    2. The misinformation regarding the health of egg-eating has finally been put to rest, mostly. Eating eggs is VERY HEALTHY even for "heart-patients" such as myself.
    3.The serious "dip" we have recently experienced in the Economy has more people looking for "low-cost" sources of protein. Eggs are such a source.

I don't think the US will see a LARGE "spike" in eggs sales, just a regular and steady growth, probably a little bit higher than in the recent past. People in the US DO eat a lot of eggs!

Simply my opinion,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I'm Taiwanese and when I was growing up we would eat ALL sorts of eggs ALL the time. I absolutely love duck, goose and quail eggs. We put eggs in soups, noodle soups, buns, asian tamales, and even desserts! We have all sorts of different ways to cook and preserve eggs (think Thousand Year Old Egg) and we would use copious amounts of eggs in dishes like fried rice. I think Taiwan has limited land resources so raising chicken and using all parts of the chicken is preferable to raising cattle. I grew up on a rice patty farm and I remember being taught how useful the chicken was - I was taught to never waste any part - including butt, feet, head...

It was a culture shock to come to the US and see how people here eat KFC...they would take a couple bites out of a chicken leg and toss! I was taught to eat the cartilage and suck out the bone marrow...of course, the Americans thought I was disgusting...but to me, I thought the waste was disgusting. [​IMG]

I really, really miss duck, goose, and quail eggs. DH won't let me get duck/geese though. [​IMG]

6. Junkmanme

Ridgerunner,

That IS an interesting article. It is a good example of the "maturing" of what was once a very simple business.

Vyshtia,

I once met a Mexican gentleman, from Tehuacan, Mexico, on a Commercial Jetliner. He owned 8 million chickens. (That was in the late 1980's...I wonder how many chickens he owns NOW!)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:jumpy:jumpy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:jumpy

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It was a culture shock to come to the US and see how people here eat KFC...they would take a couple bites out of a chicken leg and toss! I was taught to eat the cartilage and suck out the bone marrow...of course, the Americans thought I was disgusting

I think a lot of that has to do with perceived status. POOR people use every bit. Rich people take a bite and waste the rest. Also cooking is not taught anymore. I know so many people who wont eat chicken if it hasn't already been cut in to tiny pieces and wrapped in cellophane.

People freak out when they see a boiling turkey carcass on my stove after thanksgiving.​

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  8. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Guess things have come full circle--the chicken was bred from southeast Asia's jungle fowl. The Chinese have been consuming chicken for probably 5 thousand years! [​IMG]

9. Junkmanme

I usually boil a turkey carcass also! Then I take out the bones and use the rest to make a GREAT "Smoked-Turkey and Rice" soup! (I always "smoke" my turkeys.LOVE that smoked flavor!) [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

10. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Yup, the best broths is not the ones out of the box/can - but ones that come from chicken/turkey carcass boiling for a day or more...I make my famous chicken dumpling soup from this...secret ingredient? None - just all natural goodness being put to good use!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by