Asian black? Black sex link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thechickenchick2, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Thechickenchick2

Thechickenchick2 Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    I can’t figure out how to find my old posts to piggyback off of those so I apologize for a new thread

I had bought what was labeled as black sex links from TSC and they are now 6 weeks old. I’m wondering if they were maybe mislabeled? I have felt that the feathering seemed different than a BSL and I for sure think I have a rooster in there (if black sex link I understand it “can’t be a rooster - but that’s partly what’s convincing me they aren’t actually BSL. Pictured are 2 of the 6..

Attached Files:

2. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Here is the second

Attached Files:

3. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Anyone??

4. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Bump — I’m so curious on your opinions!

5. zshepherd

zshepherd Chirping

Apr 5, 2018
    NH
    I'm also curious as to the breed you have as they look very similar to mine purchased at TSC as black sex links. I am new to chickens but in my reasearch, mine do not look like the majority of BSL I have seen as they have grown. As chicks, they looked like the pictures I have seen. I agree that due to the no barring and no dot on the head, they should not be males. Maybe the community has an answer or guess.

4 days old
    3218 9.JPG
    4 days old
    3218 3.JPG
    5 weeks old
    DSC_0127.JPG
    5 weeks old
    DSC_0136.JPG
    5 weeks old
    DSC_0128.JPG
    5 weeks old
    DSC_0132.JPG

6. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Yes! Yours look JUST like mine and I agree that they just don’t look like “typical “ black sex links I’ve ever seen! I have one that I just can not accept is NOT a cockerel... Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

7. zshepherd

zshepherd Chirping

Apr 5, 2018
    NH
    My pleasure on the reply. Seems we're both in the same boat. I have decided, for now, I simply have atypical BSL ( I do love swimming upstream) and my lady with the large reddish comb and wattles is developing sooner than the rest of the girls.

8. HollyBonds

HollyBonds In the Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    curious what your chicks are now that they are older. I have a BSL that I am not sure is a BSL anymore.

Attached Files:

9. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Those look just like my “BSL” which are definitely Asian blacks or at least a cross. I will post updated pictures in just a few moments when I let the dogs out and let the chickens out of the coop..

10. Thechickenchick2

Mar 15, 2018
    Rhode Island
    I attached recent pictures of my 6. I have 2 cockerels and 4 pullets. The cockerels very obviously have large and red combs but the also have yellow/slate legs where the pullets have all slate legs. The cockerels also have good through their neck, backs and side. The pullets have the white “barred” look through their chests and that’s basically it along with the typical iridescent blue/green feathers

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: