asian blue quail eggs, edible? and a few more qs :L

Fraoch21

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Highlands, Scotland
ive been reading a few topics on quail colour variations and breeds and ive just ended up really confused
roll.png
so ive read that all quail are coturnix quail but japanese, coturnix japonica, are a different breed from other like coturnix coturnix, no?

but if they are all the same breed, does that mean that asian blue quail are the same as average brown japanses quail, so you could eat their meat and eggs? its just that they are a different colour? like goldens and tuxedos?

but then theres chinese painted quail, i thought you couldnt eat their eggs? but if they're the same as japanese then you could just keep them all together and treat them the same?

and then theres californian quail, surely they're a different species or something?
can someone please explain to me, i really dont understand
tongue.png

oh also does that mean i could keep asian blue quail toegther with japanese?

Last edited:
2 Type Of Old World Quail= Chinese Blue Breasted Quail Or Buttons As They Are Commonly Called And Coturnix Which Encompass Many Subspeces From Japonese To African Harlequin

All New World Quail Are Different Speces Themselves Such As Bob White, Bensons, Mountain, Mearns, Blue Scaled, Gambels, Valleys, Etc...

All, Repeat All Bird Eggs Are Edible... Granted Eating A Button Quail Egg May Be Rather Like Peeling An M&m , But They Are Edible

A SAFE BET IS KEEP ALL SPECES SEGREGATED

Last edited:
Asian blue is cbbq so the eggs are edible if you collect a handful. All eggs are edible if you are willing to eat them (but alligator eggs are so slimy and irregular looking that's another story
smile.png
)

thank you so much for clearing that up, i think i understand now
smile.png

i have another question
tongue.png
i have baby pied quail and i wondered why there are slightly different colours in a couple of them or is it just that they have been crossed and bits of other colours have ended up in them?

heres no.1, i thought s/he was a normal tibetan tuxedo but s/he has that red/ginger bars, or is that normal?
SAM_0649_0911_edited-1.jpg

heres no.2, s/he is like no.1 but has bits of the average brown/range on him/her rather than tibetan and a lot of white but im guessing thats just improper colouring from tuxedo?
SAM_0650_0912_edited-1.jpg

they both have a pink stripe down the middle of their beaks aswel, is that supposed to be there?

thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
The tuxedos come in the ranges (tibetan and Rosetta), scarletts/reds and now golds.
It looks like yours is a Tibetan tuxedo. The range has a shade of browns in the plummage. Yes the tuxedos are crosses to get them to be tuxedos (English whites/Tibetan).

The Asian Blue Quail is the Chinese Blue Breasted Quail...these are also known as button quail :) So ask away, many people here can help you.

The Asian Blue Quail is the Chinese Blue Breasted Quail...these are also known as button quail :) So ask away, many people here can help you.
How many color varitys are there for these button quail? my neighbor raises these but all of hers are rust and brown colored . Im looking for the chinese blue breasted.

Looking to buy a pair of this color . Are there any breeders in Arizona , or will I have to have them shipped from another state ?

Back
Top Bottom