Aside from the crowing.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sixinva, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sixinva

sixinva Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    So, im a newb, and the 6 hens I got from the feed store, with a 99% hen only success rate, has yielded me one barred rock rooster and 5 hens. Im in a fairly open area, so Im not sure the roosters crowing will be a concern, and i kind of like it.....and i know that he might get agressive, which will put him on a bus with a one way pass,,,,,,but im a bit conflicted as to whether i want to keep him or not. I do not at this time want to raise chicks...so no need for a roo really.....So, is having a rooster, if he behaves, really a pain? Broody hens (do they get broody without a roo?), horny roo jumping everything in site, etc etc.....

So, does he stay or does he go......what really are the pros and cons of having a rooster in the bunch. im very interested in feedback from those more experienced with this....

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That appears to be a pullet also. Can you get a whole-body picture of her?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hens will go broody with or without a rooster.

We got our rooster for protection for our hens. Our run is not covered as it's our orchard. We wanted a rooster to look out and warn the hens of danger since the hens spend their entire day with their butts in the air. I love having him and I am glad we decided to keep a rooster. He warns the girls of danger (he sees the hawks before I do) and has different vocal sounds depending on how close the threat is. He finds treats for them and calls them over to give it to the girls.

I have noticed that since I have had a rooster, my hens are less interested in me. They still follow me, eat from my hand, etc. But they don't like the handling they used to get and they rarely squat for me anymore. I guess it's cuz they feel they've been mated enough. Depending on what you want from your hens, that could be a negative.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I love my roosters, they are sweet and sweet to my girls. They also keep any "horndog" teenage roos in line, and break up any hen showdowns.

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I forgot that part. My rooster has broken up hen fights.

6. sixinva

Apr 6, 2010
    Quote:I agree, that the markings are very much in line with what ive seen on pullets, but the crowing every morning seems to be a bit much, at least from a hen???? also crows durring the day...and its feet are quite large, but as a chick, were definitly black striped, as a pullet is supposed to be...

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    I have an accidental bantam rooster too, from our batch of 8 who are about to turn 1 year old. Because we live out in the country, the crowing at random times is okay with us and our neighbors.

He always keeps a wary eye on the sky for hawks, buzzards, and airplanes, and tries to encourage the hens to come to bed when it's dusk. (They don't always listen to him. ;-) He finds treats for them, though I'm sure they could manage to find food without him too. 2 of the hens are a bit feather-picked on the back of their heads because he's accidentally pulled them out, so if you want your hens to look perfect, that's a down side.

He's quite protective of them, and I'm sure would defend them well from any predators. They do free-range in our yard when we're home to watch them, so this is reassuring. He calls out in alarm if something's not right, so we can hear it and go investigate. He can be a little too protective sometimes - he's very sensitive to certain behaviors on our part, like if we appear to be carrying some treat and not giving it to them soon enough. I know what things I do that will provoke his concern, so generally avoid those things. He's mildly attacked both of us, so we're on the program of carrying him around when he does that. Other times he's very sweet and will hop up on my lap and settle in. So far his occasional tantrums are balanced out by him being flock protector. Though as his spurs are growing, I may be looking into filing them down or something. Try to find a balance between leaving him enough weaponry for defense and not getting large gashes in our legs. [​IMG]

8. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Very informative! I so wish we could have a rooster. Though we're on the outskirts, we still have houses all around. My lot is only 1/4 acre.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is he? He does have female coloring, but otherwise looks like a rooster. Normally males are lighter, but there is someone here (can't remember who) that has a BR male that has the dark coloring, so it does happen.

10. sixinva

Apr 6, 2010
    He(she) is 12 weeks old in a couple of days......It is definitely the top dog in the coop, so to speak, rounds em up in the evening at bed time...challenges the dogs when they come up to the run, etc...so I would say 'acts' quite roostery.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by