ask help to desing a totally enclosed coop

Amayumi

In the Brooder
hi all

i have build a tractor but, as you guys prophetized, it did not fit my needs since i have too many chickens (20 - 30 chickens)

i need some ideas to build a coop that did not allow the chickens to free range, since it can be attacked by local wildlife if i let them roam free

reading some topics, it seems that the name of what i am searching for is a deep litter tottaly enclosed coop

could anyone please suggest one or two topics with desing ideas so i can borrow some good ideas about how construct my coop?

i need something with minimal maintenance, where i could lock my chickens in but yet they could thrive with health and as happiness as possible.

thanks a lot

all the best

Look at the coop article section. Tons of ideas in there. Deep litter is usually used in the run, but some do use it in the coop also.
30 chickens need a big coop and run for them to be happy and not squabble when there locked up.
10x12 would be the smallest coop I'd go with, and a 20x20 run.

Which ever design you decide to build, a MUST is a poop board under the roost and and you've mentioned DLM (deep litter method) for fast & simple cleaning, walk-in & roofed is the greatest. Consider your climate and weather conditions, and it's been recommended 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per in the run the minimum but BIGGER is always better due to Chicken Math.

I'm limited in space but due to our climate went with an "open air" ... Hubby built me (completed Jan 2016) an 8 x 12 x 7 structure. I wrapped in chicken wire as our property is fenced, made "curtain rods" and hung shower curtain liners for our wet times. I keep adding shavings as I deem needed, remove the loosen dirt & stuff she I need fillings for my yard/garden. Has worked great for me.

Attachments

• Chicken House:1.jpg
    Chicken House:1.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken House:2.jpg
    Chicken House:2.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken House:3.jpg
    Chicken House:3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
a MUST is a poop board under the roost

Poop boards are a love them or hate them item. Some people wouldn't have a coop without them, some don't want anything to do with them. I personally prefer a deep pile of bedding under the roost -- which only needs a new layer every week or two or an occasional toss with the pitchfork if throwing scratch under there hasn't gotten the chickens to do an adequate job of turning it.

It all depends on your management system and preferences.

Poop boards are a love them or hate them item. Some people wouldn't have a coop without them, some don't want anything to do with them. I personally prefer a deep pile of bedding under the roost -- which only needs a new layer every week or two or an occasional toss with the pitchfork if throwing scratch under there hasn't gotten the chickens to do an adequate job of turning it.

It all depends on your management system and preferences.
You are correct, we all have preferences and situations that differ.
After Hubby passed away I got depressed and decided to quit chickens, started taking apart the CH (roosts, nest box stand & poop board) . Thought I'd convert to a green house which never materialized.
A couple years later decided to raise chickens, so I had to come up with ideas for a nest box & roost but a poop board was not working into my improvisations. Long story short, decided to do as you mentioned; let the poop collect under the roost & I pick up the big stuff under daily. I have only 3 hens and this works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom