1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ask Me: All Natural Pest Control Solutions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FickleFarm, Apr 14, 2009.

1. FickleFarm

FickleFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Mobile County, Alabama
    I have a great book that provides only ALL NATURAL forms of Pest Control. If you've got a problem, I'll look it up and post it.

Everything I have tried so far has worked great!

2. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I don't have a problem, but I don't WANT to have a problem. I do use DE. I would be very happy to know about the book, please post.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
  4. FickleFarm

Apr 13, 2009
    Mobile County, Alabama
    The book is called "1001 All Natural Secrets to Pest Control" by Dr. Myles H. Bader. I bought it off of QVC a year or two ago.

DE is a solution to lots of issues throughout the book. It is a GREAT preventative! I mix some in with my horse feed and flies will not go near the manure. That's where they prefer to breed. Just doing that, I've basically eliminated the fly population on my farm!

The book paid for itself a hundred time over with that one tip!

5. FickleFarm

Apr 13, 2009
    Mobile County, Alabama
    Quote:Hey Becca,
    Just looked over the thread you mentioned. This book does mention some insect issues that occur with dogs, cats and horses but I havent read any yet for chickens specifically. Your thread seems to be about first aid.

I could post things you can do to treat your coop inside and out to keep animals, insects & rodents away but that doesnt fit into your thread.

BUT if I come across anything in there (its a thick book) that would be helpful, I certainly will post! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

what is the best way to prevent the following on veggie /fruit crops:

Japenese beetles

Squash Bugs

Aphids

Fruit flies (or at least they look like tiny flies - all over my fruit trees)

A few years ago I would spray Seven, but I want to go organic now. Last year I just sprayed water/dish soap and while it worked for a while... it didnt do that great of a job.

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well, I have ordered it from Abebooks. They had a bunch of them. They were a little more than I like to pay, $12 and up, and of course s & h, but this is something I am VERY concerned about. Thank you for the tip.

8. FickleFarm

Apr 13, 2009
    Mobile County, Alabama
    Quote:Japanese Beetles:
    These guys spen 10 months out of the year in the ground in the form of a white grub. They feed on the roots and kill your grass. They are the most common grub in the Eastern US. As a preventative, try to kill them at this stage by treating your grass with Milky Spores (find at a garden shop) in the early spring before they hatch.
    But to kill them now, you will need the following to make a spray:
    1 pound of hydrated lime
    5 ounces of alum (found in spice isle at grocery store)
    10 gallons of cool tap water
    Put water in large bucket and add ingredients, stirring well. Put it in a sprayer and spray tops & bottoms of leaves.

Squash Vine Borer (I think this is what you mean):
    Releasing Trichogramma will attack the borer eggs and kill them. Use Nc nematode infested mulch around th ebase of vegetables for excellent control. If you find a borehole, just inject Nc nematodes into the borehole with a medicine dropper

Aphids:
    There are about a dozen recipes for Aphids! One says, spray them with cooking oil spray like Pam.
    ANother says there is a new horticultural oil developed just for Aphid control called "Sunspray". Smothers Aphids and their eggs.
    On the cheap: Next time you boil sweet potatoes keep the water and put into a sprayer for excellent control.

Fruit Flies:
    The tips for fruit flies in the book apply to basically, in your home or SURPRISE around birds! But treating fruit trees for them isnt really covered, unless you want to consider plants that repel them and plant them around the base of the trees: Leek, Onions, Garlic, Pennyroyal, Rosemary, Sage, Black Salsify or Coriander.

9. FickleFarm

Apr 13, 2009
    Mobile County, Alabama
    HENNYS MOM:

I just spotted a whole chapter titled TREE PESTS!!!

They list a whole bunch of trees and treatments...so what kind of fruit trees do you have?

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Does it have anything about fleas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by