Asked....... but not answered?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Elite Silkies, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    We have had several members ask if eggs were edible with various different sicknesses. So, could we make a list of sicknesses and/or diseases and if the eggs are edible while they have it.

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I am sure that if you are dosing them for parasites, the eggs should be fed to animals, and not to humans. They could be boiled and cycled into the chicken feed.[​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My policy is that if the chickens are being treated with anything like antibiotics or wormers, then the eggs go in the trash during the treatment time and for another two weeks after treatment has ended. According to my vet it's the safest way to go, because medications can stay in the body a long time.

I don't feed them back to the chickens either- that results in them being overdosed by the meds.
    I hate having to waste all those eggs, so I try really hard to not let the chickens get sick in the first place. No new chickens in unless I hatched them here, no visitors to the coops/runs. If someone gets a chicken from me it is not allowed back. Basically, a closed flock.

Seems like overkill sometimes, but it's better than the alternative! [​IMG]

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would like to have a closed flock, but then I could not get the breeds I want to add, but I do quarantine them. I personally wouldn't want to eat the eggs if they were sick either, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by