1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Asking a question about lifespan of your chicken & laying longer.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nicolette, Feb 13, 2017.

1. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Hi
    I was doing some locating of an easter egger breeder & she actually Told me that with any breed of chicken if you buy them from a breeder or an hatchery you get a longer lifespan & egg laying life. Than just getting them @ a ranch/farm store. I was told that if you buy them @ a ranch store because they just breed them for eggs they ware out faster & live only 3-4 years. But the breeder that i asked about the easter eggers she said that if you get them from a hatchery/breeder they have a longer lifespan like 7 years & still product eggs. Is that true?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sounds like a good sales Pitch---from her. I would feel good breeders will give you a better chicken than a hatchery. My Opinion, but there is always cases of back yard breeders that do not know nothing about raising good chickens!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Nicolette

I haven’t heard that one before so I did a little research just out of curiosity … Genetics apparently are a contributor to a good life span in a chicken. However, having said that, just because someone is a breeder does not mean they are practicing good genetics.

This was an interesting read: http://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-long-will-backyard-hens-live-for/

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I may be wrong, but don't farm / ranch stores buy chicks from hatcheries [​IMG]

5. Teila

Hey Ken

I did wonder where the farm/ranch stores would be getting their chickens from [​IMG] I know that the chickens our feed stores sells are from a breeder but they could be the off-casts that the breeder did not want or was not happy with [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    We have no such things in my neck of the woods, so I'm just fumbling around in the dark to be honest [​IMG] But i agree that in your case, a breeder would want to get rid of their culls that way.

7. Teila

Yeah, so technically, they are chickens bought from a breeder, albeit, via a third party and probably not the pick of the hatch, flock etc.

Raises the question then that what you are buying from the breeder could also not be the pick of the hatch, flock etc and just the one's that they want to move on?

I do not think it can be narrowed down to where you buy them and more what you end up buying.

Anyways, just my thoughts on a quiet afternoon at work [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    the vast majority of ranch/farm/hardware stores source their chicks from the major hatcheries--MMM, Ideal, Cackle, Meyer, etc.

the're the exact same chicks you're going to get if you order direct from the hatchery.

they're also the exact same birds that are going to be the parent stock of the vast majority of "breeders" of common breeds. Most folks start with hatchery birds and just breed them together and sell the offspring. Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself. Just saying, they all come from pretty much the same place.

You have to have a specialty breed, or do quite a bit of searching, to find birds that don't come from a hatchery.

Birds bred for ultra high production do tend not to live as long. These are mostly your Leghorns and sex link hybrids.

Otherwise, how long they live mostly depends on keeping your birds safe from predators. Far more birds die from predators than egg laying related issues.

2 people like this.
  9. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Thank you so much for your info. Also thank you for taking the time to look it up. It was very informative!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by