Asking advice for my coop - winter related!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bullyforme, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    I have a small coop for three bantam hens. They are only just mature (one has started, and now stopped, laying - the other two are just getting red in their combs). The coop is actually a converted (huge!) rabbit coop to which I've added a run, and they also have access to the space under their coop.

I had some thoughts I wanted to run it past y'all. I don't know if they banties will be comfortable free-ranging in the three feet of snow I usually end up with in my backyard so I want to make sure their run is unobstructed by snow so they have room to stretch out & exercise during the long winter. So, I thought I'd get clear plastic tarp-type sheeting and affix it (loosely, so as to allow ventilation) around all of the wired-in run. Does this sound like a good idea? I figured it would keep the snow out, some warmth in, and not freak them out too much because they could see through it.

Also, how should I keep the cold from getting in/heat escaping regarding their ventilation windows during the winter? I thought of having a tarp affixed with velcro or whatnot that I could fasten over the windows on really cold days & nights, and roll up on nicer days.

There is also a fixture for a heat bulb that was installed for the former rabbit inhabitants, but I'm not sure if I'll need it.

Any input would be helpful!

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any help on this. Three feet is a lot to deal with! Wow! [​IMG] I don't have to deal with snow so I really can't help you but my note will send you back to the top and maybe you'll grab a real person! [​IMG]

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Quote:Thank you, that thread was helpful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by