Asking myself why

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bethgranberg, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bethgranberg

bethgranberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Why did I bring new chickens in to my closed flock when I knew better from all you wonderful folks at BYC!!???? Not sure but now I have to pay dearly, symptoms are as follows:
    -Chickens affected aged 3 years all pullets
    -coughing,sneezing
    -gurgling but no visable discharge eyes clear
    -light brown reddish diarrreah smells horrible cannot see any worms in poo
    -a little lethargy but the heat here in Illinois may be a factor
    -eating and drinking good
    -egg production down
    The pullets I brought in dont seem ill so i believe the are a carrier of something, the only symptom I see is the diarrea
    I have ordered a bottle of vet RX since it is not avaliable in our area, waiting but until then...so thankful for this website. I am so sad for my beautiful girls. Any advice would be so appeciated.

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I think all you can do is give supportive measures. If they are fighting off a virus, they will be more susceptible to cocci, so maybe some ACV in their water or Corid/Sulmet. I think proboitics would be good and unless they get a bacterial infection, antibiotics won't help. Just keep them comfortable and let it run its course. Good luck and hope for the best. The VetRX is supposed to be good stuff!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. bethgranberg

bethgranberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Thank you that is such great advice that is kind of what I am hoping for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by