Asking neighbors for grass clippings.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LoveHuevos, May 17, 2011.

1. LoveHuevos

LoveHuevos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Do you ask your neighbors for their grass clippings to feed to your chickens? I'm wondering if it would be weird if I asked them. . Should I offer them free eggs? Maybe just a six-pack? We only have 8 laying hens at this time and have just enough eggs for our friends to buy. I'd offer to give them a trash bin to put them in. I mean, it's not like they're going to do any extra work, they'll just be putting them in another bin. Any other tips?

2. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I bet they'd be delighted to swap their grass clippings for some fresh eggs!

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I don't see anything wrong w/ it, but you would need to know if the "icide" their lawns w/ anything that would be harmful to the chickens.

4. LoveHuevos

LoveHuevos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    I asked one neighbor and he didn't seem too thrilled. I'll ask other when I hear their mowers going. Most people around here don't care about fresh produce. [​IMG]

5. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I will be asking my neighbor, but he uses his to plant his humungous eggplants in.
    The other neighbor uses tons of icides. [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:+1

Absolutely!!

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would just be tickled pink of a neighbor asked me for lawn clippings for their chickens or livestock. Others are right though, I would make sure there was no weed n feed or anything like that on the neighbor's grass.....

9. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok this may sound like a stupid question. But why grass clippings?? Do they eat them? How much clippings do they eat?

10. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Yup they eat them and play in them. Not sure how much I am new to this and only have 6 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by