Asking Santa For A Canner..Info??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Nov 11, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm looking to start canning this year.. (although, this may difficult, as i have a stinkin' glass top stove.. [​IMG] )
    Could anyone recommend a good/safe one, please? If you could have your wish, what canner would YOU want??
    Thanks! [​IMG]

**Also, what exactly ARE canners?? I know they are big pans,.. but are they pressure cookers or what?? Yeah, i need to learn a lot still... [​IMG] **

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd get a pressure cooker over a canner. Some stuff, like jam, can be canned at low or no pressure, so can be canned with a hot water bath in a canner (which is just a big pot). Most veggies and meats need some pressure to get a good seal, so I'd rather invest in a good pressure cooker. IMHO.

Mine is a huge 28qt monster my mother got me for Christmas one year. I think it's Rival brand. Just get a new model (not secondhand) to make sure the gaskets are not dry-rotted. Newer models have excellent safety features. I wish mine were smaller because it's just HUGE and hard to handle, so if I were picking one out, I'd get one that can hold 4 qt jars comfortably.

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

My sister has a glass top stove and lamented not being able to use the heavy old canners that belonged to our mom and grandma. Because of the requirements for microprocessing goods for the farmers market, I had to buy newer type canners (post 2007). We found they were lighter material and she has used them to can on her stove without problems. Water bath canners would be too heavy as they must be filled 2" above lids of jars.
    Good luck.

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    For the heating portion-
    Years ago I started using my propane outdoor burner (ie. turkey cooker) to do my canning. Your kitchen stays cooler, the temp on the cooker is quickly and easily controlled; the water boils in about 3 minutes with those high BTU's. Cooling jars is a breeze outside and if you have an accident, it's not all over your kitchen.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Red, First read this for a quick rundown of the process. That’ll save a whole lot of typing for me. My posts are too long anyway.

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/index.php

There is a difference in pressure canning and water bath canning. Certain things like pickles you can water bath can. The acid in them keeps the bacteria from growing so all you have to do is seal them. But other things like green beans or corn need to be pressure canned to kill the bacteria that can be in them. I got the Presto pressure canner that is big enough to pressure can 18 pints or 7 quarts and it can water bath can 9 pints or 7 quarts. With pressure canning you do not need to cover the jars, but with the water bath method you need 2” of water over the tops of the jars. I recommend getting one that can do both pressure canning and water bath and is big enough to can enough at a time to make it worthwhile.

One thing you absolutely have to have is a good book of recipes. I recommend the Ball Blue Book. Mine does not have a blue cover, it is actually yellow, but it is considered the bible of canning. Follow the recipes closely. I almost always use the hot pack method. The three things I normally need out of a recipe are how to prepare the produce to pack it, the head space, and the processing time, but the proportions of what you can are important. If memory serves me right, a pint of cream corn takes 85 minutes to process while whole kernel takes only 55 minutes. The difference is due to consistency. Finding a good recipe and following it is important.

As far as accessories, I think you need a good stock pot. I’ve got a 12 quart stainless steel pot that works real well. Some of the acid stuff, like tomatoes, can get a taste from aluminum, so I suggest stainless steel. Yeah, those are not cheap.

If you get the big canner where you can stack pints, get the second rack. Otherwise you are stuck with 9 pints total if you get the canner I got. I normally do pints of most stuff since there are only two of us although I do soup in quarts. The type of rack I’m talking about are just pretty flat things that set in the bottom of the canner so you have the jars a bit off the bottom of the canner. Once you have a level of pints, you put the second rack on top of them to stack another row of pints. I think if you look at the accessories, you’ll see what I mean.

Get the jar lifters, not those rack things. The jar lifters are those hinged things where you can grab an individual jar and put it in or out of hot water. You have to have one of those. Don’t get those racks where you can set down in the canner and put the jars in, then lift them out. Those things are a total waste.
    A funnel with a pretty wide opening to put food in the jars is real important. You will need to release the air bubbles when you fill the jars. For pints, I use a plastic knife. For quarts, a plastic chopstick works pretty well.

One thing you will have to do is measure head space. That is how much room you have from the top of the product in the jar and the top of the jar. I have a 6” ruler marked in inches for that. You can get one pretty cheap in the school supplies section of many stores. I really can’t think of anything else you really need.
    Maybe this is enough to get you started.

Get with your stove top manufacturer and talk to them about canning on it. Some say you can, some say you cannot, and some will tell you how. If you had the old heating element type, I'd suggest you get one especially reinforced for canning, but you don't.

Any questions, let me know.

6. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I have the presto pressure canner that holds 7quarts. Santa is bringing me a new bayou classic mega burner-- about $150 @ amazon & a new All- American canner it is a 41 quart monster- retail $450-$470. If you get serious about canning it will do 19quart jars at a time!!

Total package is a little over $600, so maybe not for beginners. But it would be the last canner you ever needed! Santa hasn't ordered mine yet-- he has been hoping for a black Friday price drop or coupon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Quote:Wow, quite a setup! That's a lifetime canning operation.

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:That one makes me [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Red, buy yourself the canner then ask for a maid to use it for you. [​IMG]

10. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I would buy an ALL AMERICAN pressure canner, they are made in the USA which is my number one priority for shopping if I can help and and quite frankly they are the BEST. It will outlast your lifetime and never has a seal to go bad, they are a metal to metal contact lid which is awesome. I have a GLASS top stove and use it without any issue and find it actually gets up to temp faster than using gas. I have the size that does 7 quarts and 10 pints, I believe it is called the 15.5 quart. It runs about 180 with free shipping from Amazon or you can purchase the Presto that is lighter, but does have a sealing rubber gasket to go bad eventually. If you are not sure if you are going to like canning this may be the way to go, they run about 80 but then you have to buy the weights separately I believe. Either can be used in the waterbath method also that doesn't really matter which one you pick.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my All American!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by