Asparagus recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tabsmonsters, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    So, I just bought my first bunch of asparagus today and I haven't a clue what to do with it! I am looking for some recipes so I can give this new (to me!) food a try.
    TIA!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    blanch the asparagus until its tender
    remove it from water and place in a frying pan with 1tsp of butter and 1tbsp of dijon mustard and coat the spears ...this is really good

or just boil it till its tender in water or beef or chicken broth..

**hint**
    bend the asparagus almost in half till it snapps...this will leave the bottom in one hand and the top in the other...throw out the bottom half (or give it to the chickens) this end it really tough and can be like eating a stick...lol when you get used to working with it you can tell by the feel of it where to cut next time...also soak the tops in cold water for a while or you may get a gritty taste cause the sand can get trapped in the nooks and crannys of the tops

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  3. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Roasted Asparagus

clean and trim asparagus

preheat your oven to 400*

on a cookie sheet place asparagus, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper, then squeeze some fresh lemon juice over all pieces and a few glugs of olive oil (or other veggie oil) mix well with hands.

Place in hot oven for about 10 mins depending on how large the spears are. You can also do this outdoors on a grill--that makes them even better.

4. RIVERRAT

RIVERRAT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    WASHINGTONBORO
    coat with olive oil.&seasoning. put on grill with a steak yummy

5. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Thanks everyone!

6. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Steam it and drown it in BUTTER ! YUM!

7. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:If by "seasoning" You mean fresh chopped garlic.... then yep it's delish

Coat spear with Olive Oil add some fresh chopped Garlic. Let them sit for a bit , 30 minutes room temp should do it. Grill and devour. I have a huge Asparagus patch and this is my favorite way to cook it.

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:This is my favorite as well. I use Montreal Seasoning. Easy and delicious.

9. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:I chose to try this one. One word: YUM!!! I cooked them on the grill and they had such a great grilled flavor. I will definitely try them again.
    Thanks!

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Don't be surprised when you go to the bathroom later... I love asparagus but there is an after effect when you eat them.
    It's harmless .... just startling when you first start eating it.

Nancy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by