Aspen shavings/respiratory failure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riodropz, Aug 4, 2013.

1. riodropz

riodropz New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    I wanted to give a heads up to everyone about my recent experience with aspen shavings. A few days ago I switched from grass hay to aspen shavings, having read that they are safe. I was really happy with it, the eggs were so clean. All my hens use the same milk crate (there were 5 hens), so I've removed all but the one box. Yesterday I went to lunch and when I came back one hen was upside down under the box (maybe seizure activity toppled it?), and one was dead right next to that. The one was still barley alive and I tried to do CPR on it. There was mucous coming from her beak and very liquid sounds coming from her chest. I couldn't save either. Now, I live in Louisiana, but they had water. And the others seem ok besides upset today. I don't know for sure what killed the other 2, but I do know I will never take a chance with wood shavings of any kind again.

2. Ameraucana122

Ameraucana122 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    There have been other reports of respiratory failure due to Aspen exposure so I would not take any chances. Try using pine shavings, sand, and hay as bedding. It works great in my coop.

3. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I know they can cause problems.I use just plain grass hay.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I've heard of Aspen shavings causing respiratory problems. I just use plain pine wood shavings. They smell good (but aren't too strong), have a nice yellow appearance, and are safe for all ages of birds.

And I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by