1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Aspen shavings/respiratory failure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riodropz, Aug 4, 2013.

1. riodropz

riodropz Hatching

Aug 4, 2013
    I wanted to give a heads up to everyone about my recent experience with aspen shavings. A few days ago I switched from grass hay to aspen shavings, having read that they are safe. I was really happy with it, the eggs were so clean. All my hens use the same milk crate (there were 5 hens), so I've removed all but the one box. Yesterday I went to lunch and when I came back one hen was upside down under the box (maybe seizure activity toppled it?), and one was dead right next to that. The one was still barley alive and I tried to do CPR on it. There was mucous coming from her beak and very liquid sounds coming from her chest. I couldn't save either. Now, I live in Louisiana, but they had water. And the others seem ok besides upset today. I don't know for sure what killed the other 2, but I do know I will never take a chance with wood shavings of any kind again.

2. Ameraucana122

Ameraucana122 In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    There have been other reports of respiratory failure due to Aspen exposure so I would not take any chances. Try using pine shavings, sand, and hay as bedding. It works great in my coop.

3. Dartanion

Dartanion Chirping

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I know they can cause problems.I use just plain grass hay.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I've heard of Aspen shavings causing respiratory problems. I just use plain pine wood shavings. They smell good (but aren't too strong), have a nice yellow appearance, and are safe for all ages of birds.

And I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by