Aspen Shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by desertgirl, Apr 17, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Just went by the local store to pick up pine shavings, and the guy said that aspen shavings were actually better for birds-no aromatic oils that can cause repiratory and skin irritation (like pine and cedar). Anyone use aspen shavings, and if so-what are your thoughts?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I have used them before, and I really like it. I too, have been told it is even better than pine. I say, go for it.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We tried them once, they were great. IMHO they were more absorbent than pine. The down side was they cost almost twice as much.

4. finallychickens

finallychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    I have used aspen with great success. No problems at all. I think the pine smells nicer though if you have the chicks in the house. Just don't use cedar. Diane

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Great news, since I was talked into buying a huge bag of the stuff![​IMG]

(But,as always I wouldn't think of making a move without consulting this site!!!!)[​IMG]

Thanks!

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I'm using Aspen shaving for the first time since the last bag of "Pine" shavings that I got from TSC has alot of cedar in it also but it wasn't marked on the white plastic bag. [​IMG]

Luckily it was for our older birds' coop.

I like it so far but I'm with finallychickens, I personally like the smell of the pine better.

Dawn

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Yeah, I do too.[​IMG]

Has anyone else heard that they might be bad for birds though?

8. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My boyfriend is in the logging business and they do alot of chipping. The chips they sell to chicken farms ask for pine...no hardwood.
    Why cant you use hardwood?

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Pine does smell nicer but down in the shavings the pine smell is so heavy that it will burn your eyes. Try it at chick level. I don't like the smell of the aspen so I pour it into a big paper box and let it air out some before using it. Jean

10. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I've been having symptoms that I thought were an allergic reaction to my chicks (brooding in my bedroom). I saw on another thread that it might be a reaction to the pine shavings. The problems did start when I took them off the paper towels and added the shavings. I bought aspen today and I'm going to clean out the cage tomorrow and switch. We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by