Asperated food???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frizzledhen, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a 6 mo old pullet who is, what I call, wheezing. Both when breathing in and out. There are no other symptoms and none of the other birds are sick. She acts just fine. I did start her on an antibiotic just in case but am wondering if there is anything that can be done for asperated food. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope someone will chime in on aspirated food.

I'd separate her for two reasons- for ease of treatment, and in case it is something contagious. Nothing lost by doing so.

Did you inject or offer antibiotic in water?

Can you tell if she has anything stuck in her throat or crop? Will she accept (do not force) a few drops of water or olive oil?

Other than the wheezing, do you notice a change, even a slight one- hunching, fluffing, protrusion at vent, distended crop, lifting of wings, tremors, pale comb/wattles, mucus at nares. bubbly at eyes?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  3. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for your reply Lynne.

I pulled her out of the barn first thing this morning when I found her. She is on Terramycin soluble. I can't see anything in her mouth or throat. Her crop was empty this morning but she did eat when I brought her in. She is also drinking. She is eating, drinking, scratching around and acting pretty normal. She just wheezes all the time. Her eyes are normal, no discharge and her comb and wattles are red. My guess is she asperated some food. I don't know what to do or if there is anything that can be done. I figured the antibiotic wouldn't hurt especially if she can't dislodge the food from her lungs.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    IM not sure why you think the cause of wheezing is asperated food ? That is not common.
    Many other reason's why chickens start wheezing. This sight gives you an idea of what illness would warrant wheezing. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm

5. LynneP

That's a wonderful link, I was looking at this part and wondering if your girl has an upper respiratory infection that could be nipped quickly.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm

and wondering if you should try some Oxine. Any chance the coop is dustier than usual? Now if this is the case your separated hen should show improvement soon.
    I'd search the threads here about it, from what I remember, some owners are getting good results with it. I believe it can be gently sprayed in the coop to catch spores...sometimes getting good results from treatment is a way we can know if we caught the right thing. Apparently antibiotics are not effective against this condition, so at least you'd cover all conditions treatable by Oxine or antibiotic.

Oh my...I'm so glad you're acting at the early end of this- you may end up preventing the flock from getting into trouble.

I'm still hoping your description clicks with some experienced owners...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Hello Chicken women,
    The pullet is not sick. She acts and looks quite normal. No other bird is sick. I have checked the other chickens off and on all day and they are all fine. I have had no new birds brought in in over 4 months and no one has been in my barn for even longer. I have not visited any birds outside of my own either. In my chicken medical book it says that food aspiration is common. It also suggests the bird be taken to a vet for this condition. I am not rich so that is out of the question.
    The sight you have offered is very good and I have saved it to my favorites but I really do believe she has just aspirated some food.

7. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Just an update on the pullet. She quite wheezing yesterday afternoon and continued to act as though nothing at all happened. So this morning I put her back out in the barn with her friends. She and they are all happy and doing well. Thanks for all the replies. I still think she aspirated some food and just needed to "cough" it back up. [​IMG]

8. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I would continue to keep an eye on her, because even if it was aspirated food, it could still cause a secondary infection "aspiration pneumonia" from getting a bit of "foreign stuff/crud" in her lungs/bronchial tubes, which may not show up for a day or two.

Also, even though you have a "closed flock" situation, I would still not rule out other causes for the wheezing; rodents, raccoons, wild birds, etc., etc., can all be cariers of bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc.

Good luck, glad to hear she's feeling better! [​IMG]

9. LynneP

I keep a closed flock too, to reduce the chances of infection/infestation. Glad she is seeming better. I know you'll watch her closely, another thing it could be is a tiny abrasion in her throat caused by something she ate, even from some rough-edged grit. I also have two young hens that occasionally honk like geese- it was the darndest thing, I watched them closely for a long time. They are also the two that dunk their heads under the water in the dog bowl and aspirate bubbles...does your girl do that? It sure sounds like aspiration, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  10. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Now that has to be funny to watch, chickens blowing bubbles in the water? No, I have regular chicken waterers and the water isn't deep enough to blow bubbles in. I do feed cracked corn at night before the birds go to roost. Maybe she did scratch her throat. Anyway, she and all the rest are just fine. I gave them mealworms for a treat today and my little pullet dug right in with the rest. I make the treak out to the barn at least 4 times a day and will keep a good eye on all of my birds.
    Suellyn, I am concerned that she may have more trouble down the road too if it was aspirated food. I will take special notice of her each time I go out to the barn.
    Thanks everyone for your replys and concerns and support. BYC people are the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by