Aspergillosis?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cursocale, Mar 7, 2017.

1. cursocale

cursocale New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have a 7 week old Pekin who has laboured breathing and sometimes pants. I've noticed a change in her vocalisations in the last week too, and she no longer puts her head under her wing to sleep.

She was in quite a small pen as a duckling with some of last years hay - so could have been exposed to spores.

She seems healthy, is eating and drinking well. She seems to stop panting if I cool her down, so could just be very sensitive to heat? Yesterday the vet was very concerned that she had asbergillosis, and today he x-rayed her (all clear) but also decided that she was fine after observing her for the day. However, she is still breathing very heavily... The panting is slightly better but not much.

She is getting apple cider vinegar and garlic in her feed.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms to this? How did it play out?

Thanks in advance :)

Christina

2. cursocale

cursocale New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    I should add as well that her breathing has been like this for a good 3-4 weeks, same with the panting. She tends to pant less if I cool her right down - but doesn't seem to need especially hot conditions to start panting in the first place.

Cheers.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She is way too warm......What is the Duck kept in?......

Cheers!

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    She may be too warm.

Or

It may be possible that she has the beginnings of a crop infection, too much apple cider vinger can sour the crop and cause an infection, they should only get it about once a week and it should be diluted in water.

It might be best to take her to an avian vet for diagnosis but it is sounding like it could possibly be a crop problem.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Hay can cause respiratory infections and they can get quite serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by