Aspirated hen PLEASE HELP

Silling

Chirping
Mar 9, 2021
My sweet girl Diamond is a 1 year old Barred Rock. She has sour crop and is lethargic. I've given her some ACV already and will continue to do so. But yesterday when I picked her up her crop was so full and watery that she vomited all over me. She coughed and spluttered so I am pretty sure she aspirated some. Now this morning she is gurgling loudly. Her break is closed but she is still gurgling. Her mushy crop didn't go down over night, she is still lethargic and is still having watery poo. What can I do to prevent her from getting pneumonia or dying? I'm so worried.

My sweet girl Diamond is a 1 year old Barred Rock. She has sour crop and is lethargic. I've given her some ACV already and will continue to do so. But yesterday when I picked her up her crop was so full and watery that she vomited all over me. She coughed and spluttered so I am pretty sure she aspirated some. Now this morning she is gurgling loudly. Her break is closed but she is still gurgling. Her mushy crop didn't go down over night, she is still lethargic and is still having watery poo. What can I do to prevent her from getting pneumonia or dying? I'm so worried.
I hope this helps you. You can help her by emptying her crop manually. There are several videos on you tube that explains this method well. We had to use this method to save one of our 5 week old chicks from aspirating on water. Also do not give her any food just water and if needed force feed her water. If all else fails call a vet. She may need antibiotics for pneumonia if she did aspirate.

Herr is one of the videos of how to empty a crop/sour crop

Thank you. Fortunately she is all better now. But I will definitely refer back to this post if any of our other hens becomes similarly afflicted.

Back
Top Bottom