Aspiration of Olive Oil

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srodems, Oct 5, 2016.

1. srodems

srodems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Ben Lomond, CA
    My chicken has a hard blocked crop and I have been giving her olive oil and massaging regularly yesterday and today. Today when I got home from work there was some progress. Some pooping and the crop seemed smaller. I gave her a little bit of olive oil with a syringe and was massaging her crop downwardly when I think some of the oil cam back up into her mouth and she aspirated it. She has a slight gurggle now, and I am leaving her be. She is breathing, but with a noise. Is there anything I can do?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Do you have grit available?

3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Make sure she isn't getting any treats just bread soaked in olive oil

4. srodems

srodems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2009
    Ben Lomond, CA
    Yes, and they free range and eat a lot of grit. She is prone to this as it has happened before and massage and olive oil did the trick. I am not worried about unblocking her crop right now as there is progress with pooping, but I am worried about her slight gurggle from the aspiration of the olive oil. Is there a way I can make her sneeze as they do when they eat to fast? Or something? Will it reconcile. She is breathing, just with a gurggle noise.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Funny you posted this my rooster got something in his throat today but he got it down by himself,Im not aware of anything else you can do but good luck.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am not a vet, but I think it's quite serious since aspiration of oil can cause lipoid pneumonia.

-Kathy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by